[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop? - coreboot

  • From: coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 18:47:21 -0700

On 3/15/15, Core TX <coretx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The librem-laptop contains a Intel CPU. = Spyware.

for some definitions, everything is spyware. go unabomber or try to
make less bad?

> Your primary solution ( x200 with coreboot ), but also contains a Intel CPU
> and some shady parts that
> have not undergone audits.

show me an audited chip that isn't an openRISC!  :P

> All that software freedom is totally useless if  you can't trust the
> hardware.

"Why We Need Free Digital Hardware Designs" by RMS
https://www.wired.com/2015/03/need-free-digital-hardware-designs/

coreboot let's you prune some badness, but trade-offs abound. (and
distro can reverse your ucode update aversion with a single pkg add.)

we could get into specifics, but i'm either preaching to the choir or
way over heads...

best regards,