[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop? - coreboot

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:31:39 -0400

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On March 19, 2015 7:34:23 AM Gary L Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  *I use this computer for MyRecyleStore on eBay. Only had to reinstall
>> software a few times in the last 3 weeks. Yesterday I became convinced
>> that Microsoft really is taking us to the Panopticon. I turned on the
>> 'Hey Cortana' button, and the blue led on my Microsoft Lifecam came on
>> permanently. Now I feel like I have to get dressed before I use the
>> computer each morning because someone might be watching me. *
>>

> Keep a small piece of thick paper or card stock taped over the lens when
> you're not using it.  If you never use it, physically disable/remove the
> webcam or put black electrical tape on the lens.

I've seen folks simply put a piece of tape over the lens... great idea, if
you never want to use the camera; but in the event that you do, having
adhesive residue distorting your lens is unprofessional.

On some systems, it's possible to disable the camera (and mic) hardware in
the BIOS... For others, it's possible to remove the drivers so that the
operating system never sees it.  Both have other caveats.

Don't forget about the mic.  Physically disable if not needed, otherwise
> cover when not in use.  It need not be conspicuous; cutting a tiny bit of
> cotton from the end of a cotton swab and placing it over the mic pinhole
> with a small piece of electrical tape works well enough and is barely
> noticeable.

Just because you're blocking the primary point of entry for a microphone
doesn't mean that it can't be used to pick up other things - which may or
may not be useful to whoever wants to listen.

Personally, if someone wants to wiggle their way into my fleet of
electronics in order to build their own version of "The Truman Show"
featuring me... I'd be highly flattered.

If you want complete and utter privacy, I'd recommend purchasing an old
missile silo in the upper Midwest of the US (with known, documented and
limited points of entry) and refurbishing it into a home... as well as
limiting the utilities coming in (generate your own power, dig your own
well) since any cables protruding from the home could be used for
eavesdropping, etc.

http://www.silohome.com/ (no affiliation).

--- A