[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop? - coreboot

  • From: Shelley <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 14:17:27 -0700

On March 19, 2015 7:34:23 AM Gary L Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*I use this computer for MyRecyleStore on eBay. Only had to reinstall
software a few times in the last 3 weeks. Yesterday I became convinced
that Microsoft really is taking us to the Panopticon. I turned on the
'Hey Cortana' button, and the blue led on my Microsoft Lifecam came on
permanently. Now I feel like I have to get dressed before I use the
computer each morning because someone might be watching me. *

Keep a small piece of thick paper or card stock taped over the lens when you're not using it. If you never use it, physically disable/remove the webcam or put black electrical tape on the lens.

Don't forget about the mic. Physically disable if not needed, otherwise cover when not in use. It need not be conspicuous; cutting a tiny bit of cotton from the end of a cotton swab and placing it over the mic pinhole with a small piece of electrical tape works well enough and is barely noticeable.

(I will address the unwanted Cortana Panopticon crapware installation issue later as I'm pressed for time)

-S