[cryptome] Re: Buying a A New Laptop? - coreboot

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:54:22 -0400

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Gary L Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>  *I use this computer for MyRecyleStore on eBay. Only had to reinstall
> software a few times in the last 3 weeks. Yesterday I became convinced that
> Microsoft really is taking us to the Panopticon. I turned on the 'Hey
> Cortana' button, and the blue led on my Microsoft Lifecam came on
> permanently. Now I feel like I have to get dressed before I use the
> computer each morning because someone might be watching me.*

 Remember, turning on the blue LED is a courtesy... there are ways of
activating a camera remotely without enabling the blue LED.

>  *I've never used a VPN service but noticed that my installed programs
> list now includes Check Point Software Technologies VPN Version 1.0.0.8; F5
> Networks VPN Version 1.0.0.11; Juniper Networks Junos Pulse Version
> 1.0.0.206.*

Not sure which operating system that you're using, but I would point this
out as a bit of reference -

There are ways of forcing the logging to be turned on in order to figure
out what's going on with a software install.

Microsoft even gives the following caveat -
"Note" This should be used only for troubleshooting purposes and should not
be left on because it will have adverse effects on system performance and
disk space. Each time you use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control
Panel, a new Msi*.log file is created."

I honestly can't believe that turning this on and leaving it on would cause
that much of an impact on a system, especially one with relatively low
dynamics in the arena of software installation - and given the performance
comparison between hardware for use with Windows XP and relatively modern
hardware...

> *This 'Cortana' thing could give a whole new meaning to the Panopticon.
> Maybe Microsoft should rename the Windows 10 Operating System 'The
> PANOPTICON Operating System.' We get to look at and talk to everybody, and
> maybe everybody gets to look back.*

 Hmm... I know that with Siri, Apple products "phone home" every time it's
used in order to do voice recognition, etc.  Does Cortana use the same
model?

> *Our electonic tools and toys are certainly taking us to a whole new
> level. More convienience, more access, and some things we never dreamed of
> back in the 1950s.*

And a lot more ways to get royally screwed in amazing amounts of time.  How
many man hours did it take in the 1950s to steal someone's identity or
millions of health records compared to the same "tasks" today?

--- A