[cryptome] Re: Business Wants Accessible Crypto from Business

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 18:33:11 +0000

POTUS says in the same article:

Quote: "The president, in outlining his executive order, acknowledged the history of breached trust and the challenge that poses: "In all our work we have to make sure we are protecting the privacy and civil liberty of the American people. And we grapple with these issues in government. We've pursued important reforms to make sure we are respecting peoples' privacy as well as ensuring our national security." end of quote.

Obviously he represents the citizens of the USA. However, because that leaves the rest of us in limbo, the rest of the world doesn't have any rights as far as the USA and its organisations are concerned, then there is no point in co-operating with the USA, the intelligence and security services or the US global corporations.

Until the US government is prepared to respect the international and national human rights of people and their organisations, and the privacy and the security of other peoples and their governments...any moves by the US government ain't gonna work, will be considered as hype, and people will continue to mistrust, to hack, to compete, to undermine, just as the USA does to them...with impunity. And that, as the the ruling elites are discovering, very slowly...is no good for any economic system. I also apply the same principles to the ruling elites of other nation states by the way, and not just having a dig on the basis that "we are better than thou"..

Now, if POTUS and the US and other ruling circles were to screw the nut and realise that they have to share and not attempt to take, take, take everything all the time, then the IT world might just get on to a better footing. The US is not alone in that respect, lots of governments have picked up bad habits and followed the US example, and they have all learned from each other. Obviously, it is going to be done the hard way, when it starts to cost so much that the economy or business becomes unsustainable, then there will be a willingness to compromise. After all to win hearts and minds, one has to grab them by the goolies...now who said that...I wonder.

Perhaps we need to go back to the good old days when governments had to get a warrant to monitor or surveil the citizens of the world, instead of the carte blanche grab all mentality. We need internationally enforceable human rights laws...and again...the USA is not keen to be a party to that. All this information gathering is bad for ordinary individuals, because the information can be distorted, bits of it selected or telescoped, so that it looks like conspiracies are taking place.

In the UK, the GCHQ has an agency which helps companies to develop better security...

see url: http://www.cesg.gov.uk/Pages/homepage.aspx

However, how many people or companies use it...is a different matter. It must be quite difficult for a body corporate to go to the CESG for help, especially, when their leadership hears all about the dirty tricks, the double dealing and the backdoor hypocrisy that goes on.

Can we set up a situation where cypherpunks and the NSA work nicely and constructively together...:-) ...because that is what is needed. Can the NSA work with the Chinese and vikki verki...without compromising the rights of the citizens of both nation states...that is the problem

The US lead in information technology, and its sheer size, isn't going to last for much longer. At least, if the FBI etc are coming out of the closet and starting to share information with US companies commercially and telling the world that they are doing that, it is an advance, rather than doing it in secret. But it does raise a new set of questions and problems...

On 14/02/15 14:15, John Young wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-cybersecurity-plan-why-the-government-cant-protect-us/

"Dave DeWalt, CEO of security firm Mandiant, a participant in Friday's summit, hopes that fear of privacy invasion won't get in the way of the work that needs to get done. He pointed to the way the way public backlash to government surveillance programs revealed by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden stymied previous efforts to effectively open the lines of communication.

"This balance between privacy and security ebbs and flows and unfortunately that was a huge setback -- a setback to the tune of several years," he said.

via cypherpunks