[cryptome] British Ambassador to Germany hauled in over allegations tapping in german communications in British media

  • From: Jeremy Compton <j.compton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:22:22 +1300

British Ambassador asked to come to the Foreign Office

    05.11.2013

    A spokesperson for the German Federal Foreign Office issued the following
statement today (5 November):

At the instigation of Foreign Minister Westerwelle, the
British Ambassador was asked to come for a meeting at the Federal
Foreign Office.

 The Director-General for European Affairs asked for an explanation of
current reports in British media and indicated that tapping
communications from a diplomatic mission would constitute a violation of
 international law.

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:48:55 -0800
From: shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cryptome] Re: The NSA the only part of government that listens

They're stirring up FUD as usual, and presenting a false dichotomy of "choice":
 either the NSA retains our info, or the telcos (et al) keep it (and
disseminate it to divorce lawyers and LE- don't forget haX0rs could get at it
too!!1!)

How about a 3rd choice: these companies just get rid of it at the end of the
next billing cycle?  Let the NSA or LE get a valid warrant for the exact record
of their person of interest- y'know, as the 4th amendment dictates- during that
time.

It's a subject that been discussed at great length here (and/or on cpunks or
libtech, the lines blur.)  There is no reason anyone needs to keep these bulk
records for years (several decades, in AT&T's case) when it has been shown time
and again to be ineffective in "catching ter'rists."

But that's not the real reason they want this Stasi-like compendium of our
lives, so don't expect it to stop (despite whatever weak legislation is passed
to assuage we, the rabble.)  TIA caused a stir & was just moved under the radar
& put on steroids.  This will be no different, especially with "oversight" from
incompetent apologists like Feinstein.

 On Nov 4, 2013 9:22 PM, John Hudson <hudson28@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anybody catch the interesting logic of today's NSA hearing on civil liberties
and privacy?
http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/11/04/top_obama_lawyers_reforming_the_nsa_could_hurt_americans_privacy_rights
On Nov 4, 2013, at 11:20 PM, "" <shelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Is the
funny/ironic bit you sending an html email with an inline image, from "email