[cryptome] Re: Boom! Boom!:Was:RE: Re: Israel Election: 30,000 in Mass Rally against Netanyahu

  • From: "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 15:49:09 -0000

Hi Shaun,

Oh...You are bringing back memories now...:-).  Remember all those
demonstrations for peace in the 1960’s...during Harold Wilson’s time?  The
Committee of 100, basically a bunch of anarchists, but didn’t they mobilise
well.  I was going on countless demonstrations at that time, really had the
bug, and was organising against the war in Vietnam mainly.  Peace committees
started to emerge in hundreds of towns and cities, composed of all sorts of
ordinary people, from all classes.  Folks were getting really scared about the
Cold War, and when the US brought in the  Cruise nuclear missiles and based
them at Greenham Common, the shit hit the fan.

See url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenham_Common_Women%27s_Peace_Camp

The idea was the missiles would go out on the road and be transported all over
South London and Sussex and Surrey, in secret..and could be fired at the USSR
without the permission of the UK government, the middle classes went ballistic.
It sounded like a good, well thought out idea, the only problem was that the
missiles and their transporters were so big, that they could only use certain
routes. Some clever sod, got a copy of the routes and published them, that
really screwed the project up.

 A group of women set up a camp outside of Greenham and were subjected to the
most abusive campaign  by the authorities, they were called slags, prostitutes,
lesbians and all sorts.  Evictions from their camp took place at the height of
winter, children dumped in the snow, by bailiffs as if they were scum.   The
locals were very much opposed to the women too, for a while, until they grasped
the nettle that they were prime nuclear targets in the event of war, and that
there weren’t that many jobs coming out it.   And the noise of the aeroplanes,
on what was once a quiet bit of England’s green and pleasant land...The
Perception of a future reality, raised its head double quick, and it wasn’t
long before the middle classes were making  their representations in the
corridors of power, in the most discrete way of course.  Conversations in
private London clubs with upper and middle class accents were heard to say to
Ministers, “I say, old chap, this just won’t do, get it sorted”

  Duplicity over Vietnam too, the UK didn’t get involved...apart from sending
military advisers covertly...until they got found out.   Then there was CND,
and when they really got going big time, huge demonstrations in London and
elsewhere, particularly at the Easter Weekend took place.    People went on the
big march for a holiday, as it took 4 days to walk from Aldermaston, the
“secret” nuclear research establishment.  The march weaved its way through the
English countryside, stopping at all the secret military establishments on the
way, so that demonstrators could take pictures with their missus and kids in
front of signs saying “Top Secret Establishment, No Photographs...Liable to be
charged under Official Secrets  Act”.  It was all very cultural too, camping by
the wayside, with folk singers playing guitars and singing protest songs,
poetry sessions with beat poets and dancing on the way...and the spliff, what
quality, cheap too, not like the stuff we have nowadays, wot rots ones brain
and makes one paranoid.

The Labour Government was furious because so many of their supporters were
joining in, the Tories were getting worried, as they too were suffering from
members bending their ears about it.

Harold Wislon was too busy dealing with the “gnomes of Zurich” who were
devaluing our Great British Pound, so that they could speculate on it.   The
Conservatives accused us all of being in the pay of Moscow.  I remember all
that Moscow gold I got, found out it was counterfeit and spent it all in the
one shop...:-).   In those days too, the political parties, said one thing and
did the opposite.  The funny thing was, I remember thinking that the
Conservatives were more “honest” than Labour, because they were less
hypocritical.  There were some great demonstrations too, outside of the US
Embassy, in Grosvenor Square.  I remember attending one organised by the Women
in Black and the  Benjamin Spock mothers for peace.

See url:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Spock

Some misguided demonstrators were rolling marbles under the hooves of horses
which were trying to move us on from our sit in... US soldiers could be seen
inside the enemy, with helmets and guns, purely for ceremonial wear of course,
they wouldn’t use them on their friends...would they...if we had broken in?
Perish the thought...:-).

Yep...them were the days...noises on the phone, was surely special branch
connecting up, and agents provocateurs, plenty of them were all around us,
keeping us company.  They have all been digitalised since then, world is full
of zombies and clones...:-).   No mobile phones in them days, no tablets,
computers, just radio and state controlled television and one or two private
stations, controlled and regulated by the Broadcasting authority.  Not like
today at all, instant happenings today, on the mobile phone, pictures and sound
instantly...