[cryptome] Re: ANC: Operation Vula

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 16:49:49 -0400

Very good. A fine example of how to counter-spy the Five Eyes and allies
back then. Today Vula would be compromised from the beginnng and
throughout its existence. And tales would be told about how attempts
to compromise failed utterly. Failure and success disinfo tales told by
serving, ex- and dissident spies and their well-rewarded mercenaries,
scholars, institutions, NGOs, love mates, parrot pets, simulated insects,
implanted RFID, micro-drones and classified [redacted].

Some years ago anonymous provided a batch of classified material
from SA, DRC and [redacted]. Then breezed into NYC asking for
a sitdown which took place at the demolished World Trade Center
and [redacted]. This person elaborated with [redacted] and,
most astonishingly, [extended redaction!]. With a wide smile and
a Sherlock Holmes hat tip off the spy-impersonator went, on his
back the sign said "You've Been Punked."

At 04:18 PM 7/2/2014, you wrote:
http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=4693

This is an even better link, it contains the whole series of 6 articles. Again, I am surprised that there is no comment on this one. After all, the ANC developed better security practices in its communications system than the major security services have got today...and they were mostly a bunch of amateurs, and the technology was crap. A real lesson in security practices I thought, and how NOT to do it, until they got it right. Even today's liberation/revolutionary/terrorist movements don' t have as good communications as the ANC did up till the time they took power. Different era of course, but nevertheless, the valuable lessons they learnt are a standard for todays security industry in my view.