[cryptome] Re: A Question of Trust: UK Report on Communications Surveillance via the Internet of Things

  • From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 16:36:27 -0500

Doug,

Only one of the Snowden archives is up to date, one is not up to date, one is not available.

Worse, none point out that 90-99% of the Snowden dump has not been released. This
means that what has been released could be misleading, even tampered with on
purpose or by ignorance.

Some journalists have called for a full dump release to allow many journalists and
researchers to examine the material to offset bias and ignorance of the few who
have had partial access.

Some critics suggest the few who have had access have adopted the practices
of spies in secretkeeping and exploitation of public trust. Not least by the
pernicious practice of consulting with governments before releases, allegedly
because that is what Snowden insisted upon.

One might wonder if the whole Snowden affair was intended to created confusion
and spasms of public support and opposition, a well-known means and methods of
official spies.

For the spies the Snowden affair has led to a dramatic increase in funding for
agencies and especially their contractors such as those Snowden worked for.

At 04:01 PM 11/7/2015, you wrote:

see url: https://terrorismlegislationreviewer.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IPR-Report-Print-Version.pdf

Dear Colleagues,
I am just working my way through the above report...when I came across the following references, which are part of the research used by David Anderson QC who wrote the report. For those of you who are interested in exploring such matters, I thought you might find the resources of interest...if not of value...:-).

A catalogue of the Snowden Documents placed in the public domain is maintained by the Lawfare
Institute: http://www.lawfareblog.com/catalog-of-the-snowden-revelations/. See also the Snowden
Digital Surveillance Archive: https://snowdenarchive.cjfe.org/greenstone/cgi-bin/library.cgi and The
Electronic Frontier Foundation: https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying/nsadocs.