[cryptome] Re: 3 Cryptographers at Dinner Mathematical Model

  • From: Jason Iannone <jason.iannone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 14:10:26 -0700

Dougie,

While I have no direct information, history and common sense suggest that
a failure of operational security rather than a failure of tools is to
blame. Your scenario talks to that as well. Investigative techniques can
validate and deanonymize users of a tool before they make use of it.
That¹s not to discredit the very interesting attack surface presented by
the exit node selection criteria that Tor utilizes, but any exploits
utilizing such a feature would likely be added to the pile rather than
represent a key point of entry. Driving known targets to your sniffer box
is more valuable when you know which flows are theirs.

Jason