[cryptome] Re: 1st British Bitcoin Exchange due to open

  • From: Peter Presland <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:30:31 +0100

Hi Doug

On 11/04/2015 11:30, Douglas Rankine wrote:

May I say, it isn't a competition between you and I, or anyone else for that
matter, rather, we are sharing information and your contribution was very
good stuff, in my opinion, I learnt quite a lot from it.

By 'compete', I was referring only length which facilitates proper
exploration of the multiplicity of facets that comprise an extremely
complex subject. I cannot compete on word-count and so cannot really do
the subject justice IOW. It's a time and other commitments thing, that's
all.

Just a couple of points, all currencies have to "cash out" i.e. get turned
into another currency or realise their value through exchange for goods or
services. See Capital Vol 1 by K. Marx or The Wealth of Nations by Adam
Smith, for a definition of capital value. If they don't cash out they are
worth nothing, or hypothetical billions. That is if I am understanding what
you mean by cashing out.

My usage specifically excluded 'exchange for goods and services'. It is
the practical necessity (currently) of exchanging Bitcoins for $ £ etc
and vice-versa (itself a function of the paucity of goods and services
currently exchangeable for Bitcoin) which is a fundamental obstacle to
wider Bitcoin take-up - a classic 'Catch-22' IOW. The reason is simple,
currency exchange on any serious scale requires gateways - all such
gateways can be (and are) both monitored and controlled by Gatekeepers
who report to said 'Financial Authorities' - or else! Think about that -
big subject with big ramifications. Even if Bitcoin were as anonymous as
cash (and I accept that it isn't) the gatekeeper network tells the FAs
pretty much all they need to know about who is using the currency and
for what purposes. That is the current position. For goods and services
exchange, it is loosely analogous to cash but with the following (among
many) differences:

Advantage: Fee-less electronic transmission including across national
boundaries. Unlike fiat money the actual transmission does not rely on
ANY third party - official or otherwise.

Disadvantage: Exchange into and out of a tightly regulated currency is
necessary with all that implies - a problem that most users of cash do
not face (unless they want to emigrate).

OK, my 'shit-scared' characterisation is arguably a bit OTT. However, I
am still sufficiently connected to the 'Financial capitalism' world to
know that it regards maintaining and tightening control over
crypto-currencies as seriously as it views its control over existing
fiat currencies and that to do so poses a whole raft of tricky technical
problems. Like I said; they're working on it.

In fact, though a wonderful piece of mathematical invention, it is
quite useless, like all good art...to paraphrase Oscar Wilde... :-).

A couple of points to ponder:

1. The FBI + various 'authorities' probably already control a sufficient
proportion of total mined Bitcoin to manipulate its 'value' (viz-a-viz
$,£ etc) in whatever fashion is judged to best serve the interests of
the existing fiat-based capitalist system.

2. Since cash is becoming increasingly embargoed (in UK/Europe anyway)
for transactions above a few K's - and with all the
printing/distribution/accounting problems of cash, I would not be at all
surprised if Bitcoin - or the technology underpinning it - did not soon
to find its way into OFFICIAL cash-replacements.

In any event, AFAIAC Bitcoin is certainly NOT useless, if only because
my Wikispooks site has received more donations in Bitcoin over the past
12 months than it has in any other currency - and I have no problem
either spending or exchanging it either. I know Big Brother is watching
me; but so what? - he's watching you too.

PeterP

Dougie.
P.S. I notice that some peer to peer organisations are putting bit mining
into their sharing systems...without asking permission...Lots of folks
aren't very pleased about it...including me...I don't have enough bandwidth
as it is, without sharing it surreptitiously. Now, that is something to be
shit-scared of... :-).