[creation] Re: who was Darwin/

  • From: "Dr. Neville Jones" <ntj005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: creation@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:45:12 +0000 (GMT)

Dear All,

There is an awful lot of stuff on the Internet about Charles Darwin, that's
true, but I thought that the following few words from Marvin Lubenow's
excellent book, "Bones of Contention," are a nice, short summary to answer
Percival's question:

"Many think of Darwin as a religious man. He studied for the ministry at
Cambridge. His wife, Emma (daughter of Josiah Wedgwood, maker of Wedgwood
china), seems to have been an evangelical Christian. Also, Darwin refers in the
"Origin of Species" to creation and to God. There are even reports that toward
the end of his life Darwin experienced the new birth. Unfortunately, all of
this gives a false impression.

"It was parental influence that caused Darwin to study for the ministry. Even
in his early years Darwin's personal commitment to orthodoxy seems to have been
minimal. Emma's influence upon Darwin was basically one of restraint. He never
shared her faith but often softened expressions of his opposing views out of
respect for her. His references to creation in the "Origin of Species" were
highly critical of that doctrine. His references to God were only those of a
theist, not those of an orthodox Christian. Darwin's spiritual journey was
actually a journey in reverse. He moved from an anemic orthodoxy in his early
years to a nonorthodox theism in his middle years to agnosticism in his senior
years.

"In 1919, Darwin's son Francis published a biography of his father together
with a collection of his father's correspondence. A study of the letters
written by Charles Darwin between the time of his alleged conversion and the
time of his death clearly reveals that he experienced no such change of mind
and heart. ... As far as can be determined, Darwin remained an evolutionist and
an agnostic to the day of his death."

Neville.

Knarr <knarrrj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I would reccomend doing a search on the Internet. It ought to be there.

Ronald Kmarr

Am interested about Darwin,s history especially in his
younger age and his parents as well. Was darwin a
christian in his childhood and before he wrote the
book Origin Of Species ? What drove him to wrote the
book ?

percival