[creation] Re: Introductions

  • From: Eric Curnow <eric.curnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: creation@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:14:07 -0800

 From Eric Curnow

I am a 49 year old evangelical Christian and non-scientist who became
interested in the Creation/Evolution issue in the early 1980's. I
offered my professional graphic design skill to the Creation Science
Movement (doing their Journal for a few years) and Creation Resources
Trust (doing early 'Our World' children's comics) and was a member of
the Stort Valley Creation Group, who for a number of years met together
and gave Creation talks in the East of England. Towards the end of the
1990's I was keen on trying to encourage UK Creationists to work
together, and helped get a couple of small-scale national conferences
arranged, but there was not a lot of support for this particular
vision. Because I was subjected to special constraint on 'Creation
Link', a similar forum to this, I resigned, and from that time tended
to become a "sleeping partner" to Creation Science - reading Answers In
Genesis' and CRT's publications, going to Genesis Agendum meetings and
the occasional Creation tour appearance, but little else. For about ten
years prior to downscaling my commitment to the Creation ministry, I
produced 'Creation Clips' - a digest of the daily national newspapers
which began as a hard copy service to the UK Creationist organisations,
and ended up as emailed bulletins to anyone who was interested in the
service.

Like many before me, I have become disillusioned with the lack of
vision and cooperation of UK Creation organisations, and felt I was
largely wasting my time with them - so I got more involved with my own
local church and youth ministry in my Hertfordshire town. I'm also
finding the Creation/Evolution issue increasingly complex and too
difficult to keep up with; and (when I was involved in CL) the Flood
Model disagreements were very draining. On one hand I think its great
that AiG and the Intelligent Design people are making the progress they
are, and feel maybe we should leave it to them, but on another, believe
the only way we are going to get down to the grassroots is by
activating lay Creationists to get together, hold local outreach
meetings, pray and give to the work. It is my sincere hope that
Neville's forum contributes to the greater understanding and mutual
upbuilding of participants, kindling enthusiasm for exploits and
helping establish Creationism as the normative belief for UK
Christians.