Re:

  • From: Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:28:40 +0200

I think the biggest factor - which also happens to be what people hate - is
the ability to adapt and to accept change.

A few years ago, when T6:BR was released, l hated it. It didn't feel like
the Tekken games l'd played in the past (T5:DR specifically, which is tied
with the original Tekken Tag Tournament as one of my all time fave Tekken
games). The emphasis was less on poke play and spacing, with a noticeable
shift to string-based, 50/50-style gameplay. TTT2 was an all-out combo fest
which barely resembled it's predecessor. It had slightly improved movement,
but it also had several glaring flaws.

I played both games for a long time. I wanted both games to be something
they weren't and would never be. Personally, l've made peace with the fact
that newer fighting games will not emulate the gameplay that vets favour.
You'll have to adapt to the new way of doing things. Expecting modern
fighting games to be virtually identical to the games of yore is
unrealistic and will only result in frustration.

When it comes to something like T7 or even SFV, l'd still be happy to play
both games if there is something to enjoy. If not, l have so many other
fighting games to play that it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if these
games don't provide a satisfactory experience. All l'm saying is, l'm
prepared to adapt to the new changes, for better or for worse. We live in
an age where we aren't always going to get what we want as seasoned
fighting game players. That's the reality.
On 25 Nov 2015 13:53, "Di Lhong" <marongdin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah. It's only in certain situation where frame is put into factor in my
case (like df1 on hit or block). But in terms on using it raw, the walk
speed doesn't effect as much i think since we tend to move around in open
space. But in terms of df1 on hit...if i don't do dragunov's d2 (low swipe)
instantly, there's a lower chance of it hitting and if i have to dash in a
bit after df1 hits. The momentum is shifted to my opponent.

Still need to get used to system changes. Getting up is VERY different
now. No more float okis.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In theory it should work like that but in practice it turns that the
shorter distances make certain things more risky because of factors like
frame advantage and pushback. To put it in another way, suppose you have a
sword and a knife. You obviously use the knife for short range combat, and
the sword from further away. The sword allows you to play a distance game;
knife allows you to attack quickly from up close. Now if you reduce the
sword to just slightly longer than the knife, you can still do the same
thing but now it becomes much more risky because it because easier for the
opponent to counter-attack if they block. So you might as well just use
the knife.

This is exactly what happened with Ryu's cr.mk and cr.mp in SFV. cr.mk
was his main poking tool. It had less frame advantage than cr.mp, but
it was very good at controlling space. Now that cr.mp and cr.mk have
the same range, there's no reason to use cr.mk anymore, especially since
it's negative on block.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Isnt this just something you need to get used to?

You are used to your old range so it feels odd and you need to retrain
you brain.
The new characters dont have any existing stuff that people are hanging
on to, so their ranges dont feel wierd since its all new?

Just speculation.

We the need to god damned game on consoles...

------------------------------
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:01:37 +0700
Subject: Re: RE:
From: marongdin@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see. I wonder if these changes were intentional or a "stealth" nerf.

The biggest issue is when i want to use a move at max range to "reset"
my position to a comfortable zone that i know my character have superior
advantage...but then...it wiffs...thank you harada lolz

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

How do you guys deal with this in SF or other 2D fighter games (with
out the use of projectiles

I generally... don't. It's like you said, in situations where certain
and actions and strategies become really risky then defense becomes more
important. I wonder if game developers actually realise this.

SFV has this same issue. It seems to me that Namco and Capcom want to
make games where reading the opponent plays a bigger role than before. In
the past, top players would just stomp on everyone else because they had
superior movement, spacing and command of their characters' toolsets. In
SFV and in Tekken, toolsets and basic movement are nerfed, and spacing
cannot be used as effectively to control the opponent because of the lower
pushback. This shortens the gap between top and lower levels, but also
leads to high risk/high reward play, or situations where neither player is
a willing to commit to a move.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Di Lhong <marongdin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Walking speed in T7 is throwing me (espcially with dragunov's d2) and a
few top players off in some situation. Executing moves as fast as possible
usually miss now in certain situation. I see Knee and other koreans are
having issue with this too. (Knee lost mastercup because is generic d4
wiffed after fff3 on block...). And to dash up and do the same move doesn't
work as well, since the advantage is put into the defensive player. I
remember Salie mentioning about the nerfed push back on block moves.

How do you guys deal with this in SF or other 2D fighter games (with out
the use of projectiles...since T7 doesn't have projectiles. So their
footsies is a bit different?)

The 2 new ORIGINAL characters (Katarina and Claudio) doesn't have this
issue for some odd reason. Their range is insane. The recycled "new"
characters like Josie, Gigas, Lucky Chloe and even Shaheen in certain
situations seem to have range issue.

It seems like the game favors the person holding back even more so now.
Which is perfect for me lolz

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Nicholas Robertson-Muir <
nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I saw the video last night as well.
It looks worse in motion.
On 25 Nov 2015 08:29, "Donaldson, Alasdair" <
alasdair.donaldson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good to see that they’re using the new tech to the fullest. Sigh.

Also, now I’ve got that song stuck in my head -

My blue jeans is tight…