Re: USF4 changes!

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:19:32 +0200

Tough question.

Some strategy RPGs would qualify by that definition.  2 Player Double
Dragon would also qualify, even though it's regarded as a beat-em-up (at
the end of the game you fight, and there's a winner and a loser).

You can't include lifebars because that would rule out Smash/PSASBR, unless
you don't wish to regard those as FGs.  Then you have Joust, where you
could argue about whether or not 2 Knights on a mount constitutes
fighting.  Same with Starwhal, Nidhogg and Dive Kick.

IMO if you try to define fighting games within a hierarchical structure,
you will invariably fail.  Instead, what you can do is try to identify
elements that are common across everything you consider a "conventional"
fighting game and then build on that, but you still won't get it 100% right
all the time.  In this sense, it's similar to music.  For example, at what
point does house music become techno (and vice versa)?  You can define a
sub-genre like tech-house (which does exist), but you're still left with
the same problem ie. At which point doe house become tech-house?

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Ashraf Barendse <ashraf.barendse@xxxxxxxxx