Re: USF4 changes!

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:32:42 +0200

It's a method of annotating messages on some social media sites with
metadata.  For example, I can post the message
"Mishimas = WIN #tekken #imba"

Then when anyone searches for the hashtags #tekken or #imba, my message
will appear in the search results.  It's also used to monitor trends, or
the zeitgeist of the internet.  As more people use a particular hashtag
("Gonna vote for #Juju!"), they will appear higher in trend lists.
(twitter trends for Cape Town: http://trendsmap.com/local/za/cape+town)

Elsewhere they are mostly a crutch for the inarticulate.  Poor man's vocab,
if you will.  Can also be used to look deceptively hip (read: trite).
"Hmm... morning coffee at Origin #bliss"

They can however in other contexts be used reasonably sensibly to convey
humour or emotion.

eg.  Labelling a photo of yourself from the Twilight Run next to a guy
dressed like a pair of scissors "#YOLO"