Re: USF4 changes!

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:08:19 +0200

Sup guys, landed back in CPT today.

Hong Kong is too nuts after Tokyo.  Too hot, too congested.  I love the
city, but not after a long trip.  I would have preferred a resort island or
something to relax after Tokyo.

Tokyo was really fun.  Definitely wanna visit again.  Seems like many of
the arcades are switching to the Hori Hayabusa stick.  Personally I prefer
the Sanwa.  The Hayabusa is very sensitive.  I think the idea is that you
never touch the gates so you have to be really precise.  On the last day in
Tokyo I visited a tax-free BIC Camera store and their Hori Hayabusa Fight
Sticks were going for between R700 and R800 each!  Unfortunately I had
already given away my luggage space :-(

GGXrd is great.  The easier execution is the first thing you notice.  The
general pace of the game seems similar to the older titles though.  I found
that air dasher games in general were a bit harder to player on the
Hayabusa sticks.  Instant air dashing was harder to get consistently.  It's
either that, or some of the mechanics in GGXrd changed.  The game runs
solidly at 60fps, but during some of the cutscenes (which are 3D) there's
noticeable slowdown, but I couldn't really tell if it was dropped frames,
laggy refresh rates, or if the game drops simply just lowers the frame rate
like in TTT2.

I don't know if it was because of EVO or if it was just because I visited
the wrong arcades at the wrong times but it doesn't seem like USFIV was all
that popular.  I visited Shinjuku Sportsland, Taito Station @ Big Box,
Akihabara HEY (had fun playing ST here) and Daigo's arcade Taito Station
Shinjukuminamiguchi (this place appears to have a great TTT2 scene).  The
latter had the best competition, but I think most of the top guys had
already left for EVO.  Best players I fought were TUC Bison (one of the
best dictator players in the world) and a 30k+ T.Hawk player.  The T.Hawk
player raped my win rate so I ended up with only 47% win rate and around
10k BP.  I did manage to beat him once though.

I don't feel like writing another essay about the reasons I think USFIV
sucks, but in short it's that the defensive mechanics make it so that in
many matchups it's just way to risky to attack, even as a zoner.  As Daigo
put it, it's like walking at an opponent who has a cross-bow pointed at
your head.  This means players will score damage then run away or just wait
for the rest of the round (in the case where you have the lead) for a jump
or a fireball.  Another reason is that DWU not only slows down the game
further but some characters can get around it very easily, while other
chars get screwed over doubly (they can't use oki vs the opponent, but the
opponent can do it to them).

As for Japanese players, the average player SUCKS.  No fundamentals
whatsoever.  Just a lot of mashing and gimmicks.  Solid execution though.
Anyone under lets say 28k BP is not very good.  I don't think I ever lost
to a Japanese Ryu player.