Re: Re:

  • From: Nicholas Robertson-Muir <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:06:31 +0200

I get fear quit.
First round I lose, then the 2nd round starts and because I picked up what
they're doing the match plays in my favor.
Then they quit.
On 21 Dec 2015 14:53, "Ilitirit Sama" <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Incoming essay about SFV after the weekend's beta:

tl;dr: The game is OK, but nothing special. I'd give it 7/10 on a good
day.

- Regional matchmaking simply does not work
- Netcode is passable with the usual rollback glitches. Sometimes
playable vs people in EU, but often not. I played vs LiangHuBBB
(Germany). He beat me with teleporting DPs and fireballs.
- The rage quitters are hilarious. Why rage over a beta? And why
don't they punish rage quitting in general? It's not like they can't do
it. They record all sorts of arbitrary rubbish like what button you
pressed on the menu etc, so they can surely easily detect rage quitters
with reasonable accuracy.
- Online is play is a mess in general. Account names get messed up,
the female organiser says the wrong thing all the time, match stats aren't
updated.
- There is so much pointless delay between matches. The default
option after a match is to view the opponent's profile. If you click on
"Continue Searching for opponents" it doesn't do that. It just takes you
back to the search screen.

As for the gameplay, I'm definitely not a fan. Offense feels linear and
bottle-necked through a small set of options for each range. Many
characters have "dead zones" in their anti-air options which opponents will
use to go for x-ups. Over and over and over again. So it's poke poke x-up
until time runs out. And by that I mean either the player on offense or
defense will jump because they know there's virtually nothing you can do to
prevent it because most characters have poor frame advantage and pushback
and low throw range mean regular tick throws are extremely weak. Now
decent players are aware of this, and often they will just jump back fierce
punch/kick to beat the x-up attempt. Which is fine, but this just slows
the pace of the game down tremendously. The other option is to just play
like Infiltration - pressure string into or hit-confirm or backdash out of
that zone so that he can anti-air from a good range. But as I mentioned,
this slows down the pace of the game a lot. I think in general anti-airs
need a buff. Even the ones that are really good aren't enough to stop
people from jumping. eg. Some anti-airs only do 60% of their regular
damage later in their active frames.

Speaking of Crush Counters, this is another aspect of the game I'm not
fond of. Offense is dominated by trying put the opponent into situations
where they must guess between blocking or poking/teching. Which under
normal circumstances is OK because in theory you should be able to control
the neutral, but most of the time the attack vector is from a x-up because
of the dead zone for anti-airs and because it's the best situation for
landing a throw/frame trap mixup. Now many characters simply don't have
the tools to control that dead zone (hence why it's a dead zone), so you
can't even play an effective neutral game (weak hitboxes, slow walkspeed
etc). Both players just avoid this region until someone cracks, or land
something random like Karin overhead, Mika drop kick, Cammy drill etc. I'm
also not really fond of these tools that allow people to simply bypass the
neutral game. R. Mika for example can ruin your day simply by getting you
to block a charged drop kick (goes over fireballs and lows, frame advantage
on block, combos on hit), and then putting you in the mixup blender. She's
like Fuerte with less execution. Minor nitpick though. Every game has
things like that.

I'll play this game because I see the netcode and input buffer being *really
*good for local matches. Like you won't be as likely to complain about
losing because of lag. Other than that I just think it's an OK game.