Re: Hello

  • From: Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:22:12 +0200

I think it definitely differs in fighting games *lol*. I mean, l like
Yamazaki in KOF and he's as psychopathic as you can get, but l doubt l'd
play a character like him in something like Skyrim :P
On 22 Oct 2015 11:17, "Nicholas Robertson-Muir" <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lol...
My fave characters aren't exactly dabbling with morality issues.

Geese/Billy - A mob boss and his lackey
Thouther/Shin - Conquerers who use force and fear
Cole McGrath - Good Cole sacrifices all the conduits/Bad Cole sacrifices
all non-conduits.
Death in Darksiders - possibly the most goody of the lot.

Myself as "The Boss" in Saints Row - morally reprehensable. Lol.
On 22 Oct 2015 10:49, "Ryan Williams" <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have it on PC.

I have a similar approach to games such as these (role-play) when it
comes to character creation, class selection and decision-making. I
generally favour the "goody two shoes" classes that are generally not
morally neutral, although I'll admit that do enjoy dabbling with characters
that blur the lines of morality; especially characters that possess
slightly more villainous traits. For this reason, playing a thief is
equally enjoyable as playing a paladin or a mage, but it depends on what
I'm going for from a role-playing perspective. That said, I'm not a fan of
playing characters who are outrightly villainous. For example, I wouldn't
enjoy playing a cold-blooded psychopath who has no regard for human life
and is unaffected by his actions and the resultant consequences they bring
about.

It's interesting that so many people find the thief class enjoyable on
those forums, although it wouldn't surprise me if it has more to do with
excelling in stealth and pickpocketing than being a psychopathic Robin Hood
who steals from the less fortunate rather than the wealthy ne'er-do-wells.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Donaldson, Alasdair <
alasdair.donaldson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, but that’s just the official main story line. You can ignore that
if you want. I know Paas did the mage quest, but ignored most of the rest.

The reason I’m asking this question is that I finally got around to
doing the civil war, vampire and thief storylines. I’ve previously done the
mage and assassin ones, the main one and dragon born DLC ones.

I was reading up on a number of forums where people were talking about
which are the best quests in terms of the story. Pretty much unanimously
people chose the thief one. The rest (mage/assassin/warrior) were all
varying degrees of ‘not as good as thief quests’.

I disagreed with the sentiment, but my reasoning seemed off from what
most people’s thinking was. I tend to view games like this as role-play. I
prefer to play a character that I can identify with, and make decisions
that I agree with, regardless of whether or not those decisions will yield
the best game outcome. For me, that’s the best way to get the whole
immersion thing going. I disliked the thief quest line because you need to
be a real psychopath to like what you land up doing. You’re stealing from
the not-so-rich, to help the politically connected. You land up framing 2
people for crimes that they didn’t commit. Considering the world of Skyrim,
these people will be jailed for life or executed. Now, if you’re viewing
this as just a game, then it doesn’t matter. Make the choices that yield
the best equipment. I don’t get that idea though.

Think back to FF7, there is a point towards the end where you get to
fight against the Turks in the sewers of Midgar. At this point in the game,
you’ve had multiple interactions with them and you’ve got an uneasy working
relationship with them. From the dialogue, it seems like this is a final
fight between you two – one which may well leave them dead. You are given
the option of fighting them, or just walking away. I chose the latter
despite the fact that you could get some sweat armour from the fight,
because that was the choice that sat best with me. Of course, now knowing
the game and how it plays out, you can fight them, take the armour and
still let them walk away at the end – so the fight choice isn’t as bad as I
thought it was.

I found the same situation with Mass Effect 1. I tend to take the choice
that I would make in the game universe, rather than the choice that
optimises the reward.

I was just wondering who else prefers to play the games like this,
considering that the general feeling on Skyrim forums was completely
different to my experience.