RE: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 06:35:35 +0000

Not really "random" since both players get a fixed attack.  If you want a
faster attack then OS.
Depending on the OS or not one move will beat the other players etc.

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 02:54:43 +0200
Subject: Re: DRE: CTS community mail
From: ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's the thing Xrd doesn't "handle" throws.  If performed on the same frame
it's random.

The previous throws handled these situations with resets to neutral, which is
fine.  To lose 40#% health at the whim of the CPU is not fine IMO.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I love the way GG handles throws...   it was one of the main things that
annoyed me about BB(Other was ground teching/rolls).  Going to neutral if
throws "clash" would be fine tho.

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:05:46 +0200
From: ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Mike Z on throw teching in GG:
Throws in Guilty Gear are incredibly good.  I'm fine with that.
 The throw tech window in GGAC+R was about 2 frames, too difficult to do
 on reaction.  I'm fine with that too, because having techs actually
handled the case where both characters input a throw on the same frame
by returning them to neutral.  Now, you both get 6H/4H or your
option-selected other normal, so one character will win and one will
lose, which does not accurately reflect the fact that both players went
for a throw and both were able to throw.
http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-im-not-playing-ggxrd.html

In ST and VS if both characters throw on the same frame it's also random, but
because the nature of how teching works, the loser usually techs out
automatically and suffers less damage (unless it was a grapple like Blanka's
bite).

In GG, it's completely random and can lead to OTG combos.

What I don't understand is how he can be against OS, but for 1-button throws
which are inherently Option Selects.  I believe that throws should be a
conscious, intentional move.  I don't care if they are zero frame, but if you
go for a throw and miss, you should be left in a punishable state just like any
other move.  1-button throws aren't a major issue on their own, but in a game
where 50-50 situations are so common, I think untechable OS'd throws that lead
to combos and then oki isn't a good design choice.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Looks like I was right, Sako uses Zato-1 in GGXrd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eENIrPSn0Jk