RE: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: "Donaldson, Alasdair" <alasdair.donaldson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 16:29:03 +0000

Yeah, I suppose so. I guess if you’re attending this with the expectation of it
being comparable to a properly run fighting game tournament, you’d be
disappointed. In terms of that, my major issues would’ve been:

- Lousy controllers

- Screen lag

- Retarded commentary

- Poor streaming for viewing the finals
Not much else to worry about from the Jhb one. We had chairs and enough space
to play.

What Di said about it being flashy, but in the wrong way is definitely true.
You could tell that this way more about marketing than about a serious fighting
game. Setup looked nice, but to be fair most of us would rather place in
someone’s garage without lag. I think this tourney was very specifically to
promote the game, rather than to select the best serious player.
I also don’t think they had bothered to figure out what to do with spectators.
If you’re going to very specifically allow people to register as spectators and
then have no idea what to do with them, you’re an idiot.

From my side, I also have a lot of trouble taking MK seriously as a game. I
know how MK9 was supposed to be played at a high level, but that was zero fun.
Hopefully MKX will not go the same way too soon, but I’m pretty sure it will
get there in the end – a small handful of characters who are able to build
meter while spamming relatively safe 50/50 mix-ups all day.

I can understand and appreciate high level play in Tekken and Street Fighter. I
can’t enjoy high level MK9 play. I guess that also forms my attitude towards to
MKX. I like the game. It’s fun. I will play it a lot against anyone who is
willing to play it. I will not take it seriously though.