Re: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 11:53:51 +0200

Salie touched on the more important bits so I'll just describe my
experience as a spectator, which wasn't altogether pleasant to say the
least.

There were two rooms at the venue: One for player matches, the other for
spectators. They had two screens in the spectator area for spectators to
watch the live stream. There was also a casual station

Spectators were allowed into the player room, but you had to maintain a
distance of 1m from the players, which I fucking hated. I brought my camera
along to record matches and I wanted to support my friends while they were
playing. I couldn't really do either. For those who were wondering why we
had to keep our distance as spectators, it was to allow administrators to
walk behind the players and keep an eye on things. I could let this slide
if it wasn't for the fact that the administrators were barely paying
attention to the matches and were just floating about behind the players
from time to time. Salie mentioned the whole "no chairs" thing which is
just completely unacceptable and would at least have made it easier to
watch and record matches in the player room. Another observation was how
damned quiet it was. Afterwards, I found out it was because the TO was
telling people to shut the fuck up because the players were playing their
matches. RIP hype. It made me feel unwelcome, which is the last thing you'd
want as an event organiser for both players and spectators.

When we were in the spectator area, there were random contests to
participate in where we could win prizes and shit. This would usually
happen after every match that was streamed. This brings me to my next two
gripes; namely, the frequency of matches being streamed and the mindset of
the guy running the spectator contests.

As a spectator, I don't want to be subjected to 20 minutes of random kak
being displayed on the screen (ads, MKX gameplay montages, etc.) and only 5
minutes of matches. I went there to watch MKX being played. I didn't mind
the contests in between matches, but I hated the fact that the commentators
got more fucking screen time than the players/matches.

The guy running the contests was a bit of a prick. He kept talking about
how people shouldn't do "that juggle kak" and try to make it more fun for
everyone watching. The irony of this statement is that the spectators only
got hype when people knew what they were doing. The rest of the time, you
didn't hear a peep out of them. Also, the message this guy is basically
sending is, "you're doing something wrong if you actually learn how to play
a fighting game properly". Fuck that shit.

Now on to the commentary. Never in my life have I witnessed such
cringeworthy bullshit. I couldn't learn anything from them about the
matchups, the characters or the players. They were fucking clueless. One of
the commentators mentioned that the game has no delayed wakeup mechanic.
What in the actual fuck? One could perhaps forgive the incompetence of said
individuals as a local, but the international scene would be far less
forgiving.

As event organisers and commentators, you owe it to yourselves to do the
proper research. Learn what the accepted international standard for
fighting games is. Take the time to understand the game you're commentating
on (if you don't know, don't pretend you know, ASK. Commentators like James
Chen and Ultradavid will always turn to the community for input and advice
if they feel they're out of their depth). Get to grips with fighting game
communities and culture (news flash, we're right under your fucking nose if
you actually gave a damn). If you fail to do so, don't expect people -
especially the international scene - to take you seriously.

The only thing that made this event fun was hanging with my friends and
being able to watch some, if not all of them play. It had absolutely
nothing to do with the event organisers, who almost made the entire
experience intolerable.

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM, lindsey kiviets <lindseyak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

on a positive note, it was the first gaming event of such magnitude to
happen in South Africa, i doubt we'll see anything on such a scale in a
long time. It was a good first attempt at a tournament. Swiss rules kinda
work if you using 1 game and then people can just play their 6 games, if it
were double elim , you would've only played 2 games in your whole tourny
history.

Also randoms in general have a defeatist mentality where they get beat bad
and go play something else, you could see that the true gamers that
enojoyed the game were the ones that stayyed till the very end. I have no
idea how we can overcome something like this. I mentioned to Zombie and
wesley last night on the drive home that BJ unchained article about
recognizing the other players skill and relazing that you suck is the first
step in becoming a better player.

I saw one match with Percy vs another dude and his entourage. There was
this chick who was supporting him in the worst pssible way, telling him to
down and R2 wtf???? I think his groupies thought he was some great gamer or
something, but he was ass to the max. I doubt he will be playing mkx again.

EGE is going to be hype as f.

------------------------------
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 09:38:41 +0200
Subject: Re: DRE: CTS community mail
From: nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

nAvGamingTV on twitch
On 23 May 2015 22:56, "Ryan Williams" <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nic will know :)
On 23 May 2015 22:46, "Ilitirit Sama" <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lol. On which channel was the event streamed?

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Di Lhong <marongdin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How i managed to land top 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZvOhHF85I

lolz

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Stay tuned to hear about how LB and I nearly got thrown out by scrubby TOs.

Stay tuned to hear about how Dark Prince was nut-hugging Draeka for 3
hours straight.

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Donaldson, Alasdair <
alasdair.donaldson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well done guys.

Sent from my Windows Phone
From: cpt-fgc-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cpt-fgc-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx