Re: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: sameegh jardine <sameegh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 02:09:03 +0200

Nicely done today peeps, I was rooting for Zol and Di in the final four but
the Cassie kid was good, we've got to give him that much. He was playing a
strong character but most guys on the day were doing the same so it's all
good. Hopefully you guys are able to cause a stir up in Jozi :]

My matches were alright, I got knocked out of the tourney by losing two
games in total, lol.
-1 to Keegan in the pools
-1 to Di in the single elim... curse you Di :P

Saw some of ScrubLord's trolling, lol, what a tool.

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Di Lhong <marongdin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do feel there's a lot more we haven't discovered about the game.

Like 0 block breaker was performed to stop pressure.

I've seen AI wake up and do normals that beat my wake up pressure strings
clean.

Wake Up throws is an option i haven't seen properly used either.

Match Ups are not fully understood either. Like Cassie's df1 range. The
first hit could hit but the second hit may wiff too at certain range etc.

The game is still fairly new. But some stuff really needs change. Because
some match ups are like 0-10...

As for the tournaments. I'm impressed by everyone's performance. GB caught
me by surprised with the Cassie match up. If only i told him to punish her
flips with f24 or b21. I think he could've won. You all have 2D fighter
spacing and gaming understanding that really shows. I myself is being
abused by 2D fighter tech. Like the 1 match LB played J.Cage. All he did
was spacing and wait for the guy to jump in and somersault. Zone and Green
Kick wiffed moves...Won nicely. His Scorp got better late game but at the
start of the tournament...a bit yolo lolz Salie managing to win matches
just using 1-2 moves is a solid proof that fundamentals > gimmicks. But
sadly, MK also comes down to combo damage. Also saw Ashraf doing some nice
stuff and he doesn't even own the game apparently lolz.

You can also shed some light on how MKX is a "good" 2D fighter and it's
bad points. Like multiple overhead low strings is a pain...what makes the
game different and good. + different and bad.

I'll put in my 2cents in, but feel free to add your opinions.

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 12:35 AM, Di Lhong <marongdin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Salie.

I'll be sure to include that and everybody else's opinion.

Not sure it'll shine a good light on us but hey, journalism will always
piss off someone...so..yolo.

Would like some insight from everyone's own experience about the
tournament as a whole or your own gameplay too. Wasn't able to watch
everyone or catch everything. I'm sure there's a few hyped matches that i
missed.

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

- If you're going to throw a tournament, involve locals who are active
in the scene. Or at the very least, try to follow international rules and
standards. And also, don't throw a competitive tournament if you have no
idea what competitive tournament culture is about.
- Please don't tell us not to swear and trash talk in a game that's
MEANT FOR ADULTS. Especially WHEN THE COMMENTATORS ENCOURAGE IT.
- Streaming whatever random match lands on the streaming console is a
terrible idea. Both for viewers, players and commentators. Ask around
about who the good players are.
- A 10 hour tourney with no chairs in the playing area? GTFO.
- A stream with no overlays indicating score and player names is very
amateurish. If we can do it on a low-budget with ass equipment, so can a
major ISP.
- Good commentators aren't necessarily good FIGHTING GAME commentators.
I don't need to be told exactly what I'm seeing on screen, every round,
every match.
- Not allowing people to support their friends during matches is
inexcusable.
- Pro tip: If you're going to invite the audience to play matches in
front of everyone, try not to use a TV with 400 frames of lag.
- Pro-er tip: If you don't understand how different monitors affect
playability, you have no business throwing a "premier" Fighting Game
tournament
- Please do not threaten people who support your event, especially in
front of other people who support your event.

About the gameplay:
I didn't see anything particularly interesting. I can't even say the
winner was particularly impressive because he was doing exactly the same
thing Dr Zol was - adapting. But his character just allowed him to get
away with stuff that would otherwise would have been punished. It would be
unfair to say I was impressed by Dr Zol's fundamentals because he's a solid
player in basically any game he plays, which can be said for a lot of our
active locals. It's like he told me after I congratulated him for
demolishing everyone outside of finals. "You know Salie, this is just how
we roll. We play fighting games." (He was the only one to reach finals
without losing a set)

The other guy was a decent MK X player (Ermac), but not solid in any
way, shape or form - GB actually beat fairly comfortably early in the
tournament. He relied on gimmicks like random teleports (which were
punished), but in the end took it over Di who didn't quite "see" the same
things experienced 2D FG players usually watch out for.

GB basically steam-rolled anyone who wasn't above average. He lost to
Cassie Cage, because "he was feeling himself too much". It turns out that
he just didn't know the correct punishment. That's not to say the Cassie
player was bad - he did win the tournament after all. But again, this just
goes to show the level of play at the tournament. In GBs own words "I
don't even play this game".

Nic was unusually solid. I say this because he usually plays fairly
"loose" and relies a lot on good reads, which most of the time he didn't
even need. Unfortunately he ran into a character that doesn't rely much on
the fundamental aspects of defense and offense, and that put an end to his
win streak.

My matches consisted of spamming Jacqui Full Auto and punishing people
for trying to read me. Unfortunately my best combo (down 2) isn't the best
punishment option lol. I feel that I lost more to inexperience than being
outplayed. Winning 3 out of 6 sets by doing one move against people who
play the game every day isn't bad I guess.

I didn't get to see any of Lumi's matches, and I only caught a few
glimpses of what Hei Long and LB were doing.

That's all I have to say about this scrubby event.

Congrats again to all the winners.