Re: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:28:13 +0200

He hit me as I backdashed, and the move was quick and had long range. That
implies that the backdash either has no invinci frames, or that it is not
invincible during the startup frames, which would still make it kak. The
other thing that doesn't justify the 50% stamina requirement is that you
don't recover immediately after the backdash. There are recovery frames
before you can do anything. So if someone sees you backdash, they can just
close the gap and start their pressure again for free. Again, still trying
to understand the logic behind what I consider to be a nerf to backdashes,
when they clearly aren't all that strong.

I can admit that we're all still learning the game and that we don't know
everything there is to know, but what I can also say is that footsies in
this game will be reliant on special moves, not normal moves. Normals in
this game are used for 2 things; poke into special move and string mixups
into special move. Footsies are about so much more than just that. Proper
spacing (which in this game, equates to walking basically) and use of
normals AND special moves at different ranges is footsies. This game is
about getting in as quickly as you can and using a string, or standing on
the other side of the screen and throwing a projectile. That is not
footsies. That's just how you play MKX. I don't see the meta changing so
much that people will deviate too much from that way of playing the game.
It works so there's no real reason to play differently.

I haven't watched that tournament yet but if I have to wager a guess as to
why it wasn't rushdown heavy, it's because Sub-Zero is defensive by design
and the Cassie player would most likely have had to play more cautiously as
a result.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Could just be a move with allot of active frames?

I think the footsies may get going once we know what we are doing. I dont
know the frames of even my own strings much less that of my opponents. Not
sure where I am on plus or negative or where there are gaps in my opponents
strings.

Once we get more knowledgable and out of yolo spammy mode we will
hopefully see a bit more of a footsie/neutral game.

That grand finals I posted with Cassie vs Sub Zero wasnt quite rushdown.
Allot of midrange space controlling going on... but that may also just be
due to the characters involved and not present in the rest of the cast.

------------------------------
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:40:16 +0200

Subject: Re: DRE: CTS community mail
From: ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If backdash truly has invinci frames, l'd love to know when it starts and
ends, because Khan hit me during the backdash, not towarda the end of it.
On 20 Apr 2015 10:36, "Nicholas Robertson-Muir" <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Got to test backdashes yesterday, with the correct timing you can get out
of corner pressure shit too.
As for Erron, Sonya's going to make him re-think his wake-up attacks. he
he.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

You can still block cancel.

You just need to run first.

ff = dash
ff+block= run
ff+block, block= dash block

Di seemed to be able to backdash safely out of some of erron blacks wakeup
game after knockdown. Havent tested it out myself tho, not sure how
reliable it is.

------------------------------
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:07:44 +0200
From: ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Observations thus far:

You can't footsie in this game. At least not with normals.

Forward dashing is only worth using if you knock someone down because you
can't block cancel anymore. Backdash is kak so l don't understand why
stamina is required. In many cases, it's better to use normals or special
moves to advance or retreat than using the basic movement options available
to each character, which l'm not a fan of, to be honest. Walk and jump
speeds vary from character to character, which leads me to believe that
this will also affect tier placings at some point.

Zoning isn't very strong anymore, but this was an early observation
anyway. Maybe some characters will excel at zoning more than others later
down the line; still early days. At this point, it does seem as though the
game is focused more on offensive play.

Game is very string-heavy but this is MK, so no real surprises there.
Characters with good high-low strings that are cancellable will rule the
roost.

On 20 Apr 2015 09:46, "Nicholas Robertson-Muir" <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yah, we back to SF.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Stephen Scheidel <gieroadsteve@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So has everyone finished with the MK fad yet ?

On Monday, 20 April 2015, lindsey kiviets <lindseyak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

once you commit there is no turning back.

ex armor through all dat kuk ftw.

kungloa is the millia of dis game, gat grinder into tp mixup throw FTW.

------------------------------
From: paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 00:53:45 +0000

That spec ops cassie looks stupid...

fuck that missle...

I want it :P

------------------------------
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 02:45:08 +0200
From: marongdin@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Zone has been toned down in MK9. But playing those matches against you
does show that zoning still exist. But you can't mindless spam like mk9.

Not sure if stamina meter for run will give rushdowns a better chance or
not. People are still figuring out the game.

A lot of variations that i thought was going to be good or the forums says
it's the best. Turns out to be the weakest of the 3 variations the
character has.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 2:35 AM, Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/651092465?t=2h22m40s

MKX tourney.

havent watched most of it yet but apparently the top games or finals was
pretty zony... so rushdowm may not be as dominant as we thaught?

But its still early so fuck knows what turns out to be good

------------------------------
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 02:22:55 +0200

From: marongdin@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

dem zoners?

found where to redeem my goro code for steam. if only he was sheeva :(
miss that big bitch lolz

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Getting some stuff with Goro down no

Have some combos and shit ready.

Flamebreath +13 on block.
EX punchwalk has armor, is safe on block and combo started
7frame command grab
Telestomp for dem zoners

Think im going to like this

------------------------------
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:58:33 +0200
From: marongdin@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

He's pretty ok. But the njp range is damn good...hits me even if i'm
behind him...

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Nicholas Robertson-Muir <
nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't take issue with the sword.
Erron seems pretty fair to me.
On 19 Apr 2015 16:32, "Di Lhong" <marongdin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My thoughts on saturday 50 matches vs Ben on MKX:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/106/6/c/Broken_Sword_by_smakeupfx.png

Nerf that sword pls lolz

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

No prob brothaman. We'll see ya later then.
On 18 Apr 2015 08:20, "Nicholas Robertson-Muir" <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I gotta work today, at work and at home :/
I'll only be at session this evening.
On 17 Apr 2015 22:11, "Ryan Williams" <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see Star Wars shtuffs. I iz happy :)
On 17 Apr 2015 21:54, "Wynand-Ben" <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Star Wars Battlefront Reveal Trailer
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8>

My body is ready

------------------------------
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:41:35 +0200
From: nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nothing compared to a tender amounting to millions awarded to a company
that doesn't exist.
lol.
On 17 Apr 2015 12:19, "Ilitirit Sama" <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wikileaks published leaked Sony documents. I don't really agree with this
but there's some interesting stuff in there. Like an employee trying to
solicit bribes for a Governor from execs:
https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/49813