Re: Cape Town Showdown is coming!

  • From: Nicholas Robertson-Muir <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 01:40:52 +0200

Thanks SAP, it means a lot to me.

In respect to "leaving things in my hands" it's more akin to "holding on to
the reigns" than taking charge of them.
I saw the writing on the wall only recently and have tried to get my act
together rather quickly as a result.

Running things without SAP, does create it's own set of issues.
Most of you know that I work some Saturdays, and that will be an issue that
I cannot avoid.
Someone will have to play keymaster for when I am not able to.

Unless you're all willing to wait till I get there? Opinions on a
chopstick please.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:12 AM, Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

Spent most of the day recovering from the event *lol*

First off, thanks to everyone who helped out with consoles, screens, admin
and commentary. Thanks again to Paas for contributing R600 to the GG: Xrd
pot. Lumi, thank you for your contribution as well. LB/Nic, thanks for
organising food and drinks while I was manning the stream. OGRS, thanks for
the amazing stickers. I am so immensely grateful.

A special thanks to Nic for being an excellent assistant TO. Your
assistance yesterday was invaluable. I doubt I would have gotten through
even half of the day if it wasn't for your efforts. Thank you so much bro
for your readiness to lend a hand.

CTSV was unique in that it introduced a number of "firsts". It was the
first time we had ever streamed an event of such magnitude. It was the
first time we had ever used a messaging app for match administration. It
was the first time we had ever run a mystery side tournament. These were
certainly novel inclusions, but we also had our hands full managing all of
it.

If I have to be honest, perhaps we were a little too ambitious with what
we had in mind this time around. We wanted to introduce all of these cool
new things and I feel as though the event suffered as a result. Not
overwhelmingly so, but enough to be noticeable. Admin was more chaotic than
usual, we met none of our schedule estimates, the mystery tournament had to
be rushed and there were next to no people left when we finally got around
to playing finals.

It was a good learning experience though. Even though things didn't always
go according to plan, what matters is how one proceeds from here on out.
Lessons were learned and all that is required is continual refinement.
There is always room for improvement.

Even though the aforementioned may imply that I didn't have a good time
yesterday, nothing could be further from the truth. We had so many new
players in attendance. It was great seeing the JHB players again. And the
quality of play last night was nothing short of amazing! The Guilty Gear
matches in particular were probably the hypest matches of the night for me.

I had an elaborate closing speech planned for last night which details
some of what I've mentioned here, but as the majority of attendees had
already left by then, there really was no point *lol*

And now we come to an important part of this mail: an announcement that
would have been included in my closing speech.

We started this journey together in 2011 and I would say that we have most
certainly grown as a community. We have enjoyed many successes, and where
there have been failures or obstacles, we have risen above them. The level
of play witnessed last night and the wealth of new players leads me to
believe that my efforts as CTS TO have not been in vain.

It is on this note that I declare the following. Yesterday's event was my
last as CTS TO. From this point forth, I will no longer be responsible for
running CTS events. I have officially retired.

I leave CTS in the capable hands of our very own Nicholas Robertson-Muir,
who I am certain will do an incredible job as TO in the years to come. He
has the experience, he has the knowledge and, perhaps most importantly, he
has the passion. To Nic, I wish you all the best and I know you'll do us
all proud. You can always count on me, just as I've always been able to
count on you for all these years.

Please note that this doesn't mean that I have retired from the FGC *lol*
It simply means that I will no longer be involved in the planning,
preparation and running of CTS events. I will definitely still attend CTS
events and will do my part to assist as a community member.

One other important thing to mention is that next week will probably be
the last weekend that I'll be able to attend sessions for a while. I have
several assignments due this month and early next month, so things are
going to be very hectic for me real soon. If things ease up, I'll
definitely pop around, but if not, you'll know why I'm not around. You guys
are welcome to use my console in the interim. I'll drop it off this coming
Sat.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 11:22 PM, lindsey kiviets <lindseyak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Ya the tournie was good congratz sap and nick for hosting well run
tournie.

3 games max .

tournie should end at 8 , 9 for the latest.

no niche games.

Tekken and sf and some new random game everyone is playing at the time
otherwise just tekken and sf.

that bogard due needs to make sessions.

Here is to having sf5 and t7 at the next cts.

we will be playing sf5 on pc where everyone can use whatever peripherals
they wish.

------------------------------
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 23:13:33 +0200
Subject: Re: Cape Town Showdown is coming!
From: nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Lumi. I was trying to be SAPooky's right hand... man. :P
I gotta thank all the guys who jumped in to commentating too. Cactaur
and Gieroad were naturals in this respect. Thanks oaks. Your commentry
was sick and bad. (Right?)
I liked the photos, I shoulda taken the cover of the tablet off, the
quality woulda been better.
Di and double-Di (you see what I did there?) were real scary looking.

Super salty dude was having me worried, but he changed his story when I
called LB to explain. His take was that LB paused twice, so LB should have
lost 2 rounds. I'm damn sure LB paused twice during the "forfeit" round
when I told him to remove the cables from the controllers.

Like I said, he changed his story when LB was called over. LB confirmed
what I saw, and then SSD wasn't sure anymore.

The time issue was caused by a couple of things.
Least time wasted - This was usually when we were looking for a player
who was currently in another game's match.
Most time wasted - this was a tie between casual play and controller
seekers, because well, one was making issues for the other.
I could have easily fixed the controller seeker issue too if I'd known
the random tournie was going to use 2 of the PS3 controllers I brought. I
could have brought 2 PS2 controllers as well specifically for the random
tournie.
It would have saved all the time SAP used to reconfigure controllers over
and over again. In fact SAP, I'm going to bring my 2 PS2 controllers to
every session/event from now on. I have 4 or so USB adapters to go with
them. This way there will be a decent cable length as well.

Live and learn eh?
On 9 Aug 2015 22:31, "sameegh jardine" <sameegh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, props to you Nic. You definitely played a big role in keeping
things happy and cheerful on the day.

The LB sway had that dude super salty, it was hilarious seeing him get
upset at the BS that he was getting hit by. He seemed to strongly
disapprove when LB walked away the winner. If you're getting scrubbed out
then it probably means you're a scrub too so don't hate :P

I think the format used was good, the only thing I'd maybe consider for
next time is to maybe have 3 games instead of 4. It'll make things easier
from a time management perspective and if it does finish early there's time
for casuals and general messing around too.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Donaldson, Alasdair <
alasdair.donaldson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hehe.

Anyways, thanks Sap for organising and running another CTS. Good work.
The day was fun.

Cheers Nick on helping out with the random admin stuff.

Well done to all the winners.

The bushido blade match was awesome. Also LB with his ‘sway, sway’ in the
Tekken and his super salty opponent who kept coming back to complain to the
judges about the pausing, despite LB having given him the round. That dude
looked like he was leaving to go and hurt some puppies.

I wonder if it’s not worth doing the finals straight away after the
matches. Towards the end there, it was really just the core group left.