Re: [CPT-FGC] Re: Hi

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 14:29:53 +0200

@GB

I did some reading up on using GA against the stock market.  It seems some
Hedge Funds use them already, but most of these funds are already defunct
(probably not because of the use of GAs though).  Was that paper you
mentioned by Peter Stone?  It answers a lot of the questions I had.  It
seems the evolution of the ANN happens way before the data is run on live
data.  Stock Market GAs also tend to suffer from "over-fitting", which is
something I also mentioned.  They try to adjust to past performance in
order to generate an expected result.  However, most GAs don't take into
account random fluctuations in the result, so they fail miserably when they
try to derive patterns from the data.  The best they can do is to try to
match the curve, which of course is very bad.