[cpha] Re: Kootenay Lake historic railcar wreck

  • From: "Kemal Mumcu" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kemal_mumcu" for DMARC)
  • To: Eric Gisin <eric.gisin@xxxxxxxxx>, cpha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:42:41 +0000

Content-Type: text/plain; charsetÿf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Neat find. I see some brake rigging and a K brake cylinder. The lengths of 
steel are truss rods and the riveted steel beam you mention is called the 
bolster. It’s where the truck would attach to the car. Try searching for the 
phrase â€œtruss rod under frame.” 
We’d love to see more if you can uncover more. 
Eric Gisin wrote:
This is 2km west of the Harrop crossing. Four photos 
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/2aE5SmwzZrwmTmfa6> , this is the only time the lake 
is low enough.
Sometime after 1901 a wood-frame car fell 50' down to the lakeshore. Most of 
the wood has floated away, some coke is nearby.
Some questions: what do you call the riveted steel beam? I found diagrams for 
brakes, but nothing for frames this old. Hard to find info because "wood 
railcar" search just returns wood bodies on steel frames.
I Hope to go back this afternoon with a shovel. Would be great if the rest of 
it were under the gravel.

Content-Type: text/html; charsetÿf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

        <meta charset="utf-8">
        <div id="compose-body-wrapper" dir="auto"><div dir="auto">Neat find. I 
see some brake rigging and a K brake cylinder. The lengths of steel are truss 
rods and the riveted steel beam you mention is called the bolster. It’s where 
the truck would attach to the car. &nbsp;Try searching for the phrase â€œtruss 
rod under frame.”&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">We’d 
love to see more if you can uncover more.&nbsp;</div><div 
dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Colin</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div 
dir="auto" id="tmjah_g_1299"><br></div><br></div><div class="replyHeader" 
dir="auto">Eric Gisin wrote:</div><br><br><div><blockquote 
type="cite" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc 
solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">This is 2km west of the Harrop crossing. 
<a href="https://photos.app.goo.gl/2aE5SmwzZrwmTmfa6";>Four photos</a>, this is 
the only time the lake is low enough.<div>Sometime after 1901 a wood-frame car 
fell 50' down to the lakeshore. Most of the wood has floated away, some coke is 
nearby.</div><div>Some questions: what do you call the riveted&nbsp;steel beam? 
I found diagrams for brakes, but nothing for frames this old. Hard to find info 
because "wood railcar" search just returns wood bodies on steel 
frames.</div><div>I Hope to go back this afternoon with a shovel. Would be 
great if the rest of it were under the gravel.</div></div></blockquote></div>

Other related posts: