[CTS] Re: RAM

  • From: Paul <landerso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:11:48 -0400

Russ Blakeman wrote:

> Now try and set up an MFM, RLL or ESDI drive - betcha hardly even heard of
> these.

I don't seem to remember setting them up, though I have moved them into
a customer's new machine.  I've dealt with buckets of them.  I remember
a fellow had an old MFM disk(full-height, of course), mounted in the
absolute top two 5-1/4" bays in an old PS/2(remember those UGLY PS/2's
with the handle on top?).  He had some sort of problem, don't remember
what it was, so me and Tony plunked the machine down on a table hooked
up power and turned it on.  Clicks through the memory, accesses the
drive then we hear this NOISE - just THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD coming
from the drive!  It was shaking the entire table!  All we good do was
just stare at each other, then at the machine.  Then I piped up, "Uhhh,
Tony, I don't think it's s'posed to do that."  We had a good chuckle at
it's expense and surmised that it appeared to work, so best leave it
alone.

> RAM is good too when you install it one DIP DRAM at a time, into the
> sockets.

I think I still have some of those kicking around somewhere........

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq

http://questforcertification.com/cts/other_cts_lists.htm