[CTS] Re: Hardrive Problem?

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:19:01 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/04 6:33:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I can't
believe that places are still selling computers with a 40gb drive in them!
Chas, I hope you explained that a 40gb drive partitioned into five 8gb
partitions where the cluster size is kept at 4kb and it stores all small files
(under 4kb) the drive will hold 8 times as many files as an unpartitioned drive
with 32kb clusters. Since the unpartitioned 80gb will hold twice as many files
as
a 40gb unpartitioned then the comparison changes to the 40gb drive holding
only 4 times as many files as the unpartitioned 80.
I'll take two 40gb drives partitioned into 8gb partitions anytime over one
80gb unpartitioned.
That means I store 8 times as many files for under $100.
She winds up at the bottom line at $49. If she buys a second 80gb and leaves
it unpartitioned she still only 25% of what I get for my Ben Franklin.

"Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you
don't. -- Pete Seeger"