[CTS] Re: Hardrive Problem?

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:29:32 -0500

We did that long ago - my dad started as a tool & die maker for
Electro-Motive (made.makes locomotives) at the LaGrange Rd plant outside
Chicago before he went to the police dept (and before I was born too) and he
taught ne all sorts of tricks that most people think are impossible. My
neighbor scoured a local junkyard for a flywheel for his pickup that broke
the ring/starter gear teeth off but was in good shape as a friction
surface - he got one with a rusty face and took it to a machine shop to
resurface. I asked him when he was installing why he just didn't get new
teeth and he looked at me like I was stupid....he then said " they are
machined on" and I told him " no they aren't" and then took his old flywheel
up on a wood block and smacked the ring gear once hard and this ring with
bad gears came loose - he crapped himself. So his next project comes up -
restoring a ford pickup with also bad teeth - he remembered what I showed
him but he thought since it came off with a hammer that it went on with a
hammer - uh uh. I told him to get another gear ring since he trashed the
first. He got back and I told him to set his flywheel in the freezer
overnight and then get me in the morning. In the morning I told him to put
his overn on broil and set the new ring on the rack and let it go for an
hour. That got a really stupid look. I then took his oak 6x6 block into his
kitchen, set the frozen flywheel on it - took the hot gear out with tongs
and set it right on the flywheel as if it had 1/16th play and could even
spin it for second. He wanted to touch it but I told him to leave it alone
for 3 hours or more to stabilize outside. After lunch it was coold and
stabilized and I washed it down with warm water for 15 minutes to set it
further. I told him to try to spin the gear or pull it off - no way he was
budging that. Machine shop nor the scrap yard ever told him that since it's
easy to do and the ring gear was 1/4 of the resurfacing and even easier than
yanking a motor in the junkyard to get a crappy flywheel.

It cost him a 12 pack though but after that he started looking things up in
the library, like using oil when he cut glass so that the wheel didn't make
a rough line and didn't wear out.

Now in Boy Scouts we got dry ice to keep things cold and when we had out big
city-wide in Marquette Park in Chicago we'd toss the blocks into the
lagoons - looked like a creature from the black lagoon movie onsite. BTW I
can still get dry ice but many places list it as CO2 solid or want you to
sign a damage/injury release and of course an MSDS is included with it. I
got some for changing the link pins on my dad's bulldozer tracks about 4 yrs
ago.