Re: [COMP] argh! linux printing problem

  • From: "Bruno Van de Casteele" <brunovdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:36:13 +0100

> Printing is something that needs work under linux -- it uses the old
> Unix-style print daemon, which isn't even designed to print to inkjet
> printers.  I have an Epson Stylus color 440, and it took me awhile,
but I
> finally got it to work by manually typing out the gs command line,
rather
> than relying on aps to do it for me.  (the command line it had was
wrong
> too, so I used one I found on the web.)  Convert everything to
postscript,
> then push it through with ghostscript.  Note too that gs can only do
> postscript, as that's it's job-- making non-postscript printers take
> postscript-like things.  It prints natively to postscript printers,
btw,
> which is something that windows can't even do.   So I guess it's got
it's
> ups and downs.

i installed the redhat printtool on my debian machine... and it works
quite good now. Now getting it to work from my other pc... it sees the
printers, but it "cannot open file" or smth like that when printing a
test page.
If that succeeds.. i will put an extra parallell port in the linux
machine for my hp printer.... i like the idea of centralising all such
tasks on a machine that can handle it. (also for mail, see my headers)
On the #debian channel they told me that apsfilter had it quirks...
suggestions were magicfilter, cups, lprng and printtool (i like gui
config.....)

> What's wrong with the networking thing?  Or is this something that's
> escaped me?  What kind of network card?  yada yada, we'll get it
working.
> :)

i'll give it another shot (got new kernel) during the holidays... and i
will tell about it if i fail or succeed :-)
setting it up as a masquerading box shouldnt be too hard then.

> BTW folks, I'm on vacation at home in RI right now, so my responses
will
> be a bit slow for a week or so.

enjoy it....

--
Bruno Van de Casteele  brunovdc@xxxxxxxxx
N.P. Puam      [ ICQ#: CA957F ]

Homepage: http://puam.cjb.net/
SWRP: http://swrp.cjb.net/
Matrix-RPG: http://members.xoom.com/matrixrpg/

"There is a special adaptation of the mind to the universe, so that we
are
more apt to make true theories than we otherwise should be."
C.S. Peirce

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org