Re: [COMP] argh! linux printing problem

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 03:02:55 -0500 (EST)

> I've been trying to get my Epson Stylus Color IIs to work under linux..
> no success so far. I used the apsfilterconfig with the stcolor driver,
> which should be compatible.... however it fails everytime (printing a
> test page or just trying to print a simple text). Sometimes it just
> feeds the page throught (tried different settings), or i get a print
> (yes!) but only with an error (doh!) on it, smth like unrecoverable
> error, rangecheck in .putdeviceprops. I figured out that's a problem
> with the page size (thought im unsure), but i'm at a loss here (and i
> cant find the file).
> guess linux isnt quite smth for me (after failing to get my networkcard
> to work)

Printing is something that needs work under linux -- it uses the old
Unix-style print daemon, which isn't even designed to print to inkjet
printers.  I have an Epson Stylus color 440, and it took me awhile, but I
finally got it to work by manually typing out the gs command line, rather
than relying on aps to do it for me.  (the command line it had was wrong
too, so I used one I found on the web.)  Convert everything to postscript,
then push it through with ghostscript.  Note too that gs can only do
postscript, as that's it's job-- making non-postscript printers take
postscript-like things.  It prints natively to postscript printers, btw,
which is something that windows can't even do.   So I guess it's got it's
ups and downs.

What's wrong with the networking thing?  Or is this something that's
escaped me?  What kind of network card?  yada yada, we'll get it working.
:)

BTW folks, I'm on vacation at home in RI right now, so my responses will
be a bit slow for a week or so.

John