Re: [COMP] Windows Uptime

  • From: "Bruno Van de Casteele" <brunovdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:00:24 +0100

> Hi...I have a question for the list.  I finally found out what has
made my pc
> sounds, clock and mouse go wonky!  I found the answer but not why. I
> discovered that if I am up more than say approx 3-4 days without
re-booting,
> everything starts to go wonky.  I was up this past week for 7 days+,
and the
> longer I was up without rebooting, the more time my clock lost, the
worse my
> wavs sounded and the mouse would start getting jerky.  Now my question
is,
> could this be part of that "windows crashes after 49 hours being up"
myth?  I
> even use FreeMem to keep freeing up my ram, and I always renew it when
it
> gets too low, I'm just curious why this happens after days of being up
> without re-booting?
> Any ideas?

i dont think it has anything to do with that 49-days-"FACT" (grin), but
is is indeed because of Windows...
I had 5 days 20 hours uptime yesterday, after which i simply had to
reboot, because some programs couldnt even start (low memory... figure
out, i have 128MB ram and tons of hard disk swap space to spare). My
linux box is approaching the 28 days...... gnagnagna... (and on 32mb and
hardly any swap space).
so, to answer your question... it simply happens... it could off course
be a hardware failure. The clock thing is indeed a problem there, but
it's still software. The same for the mouse and sounds.
Some programs simply have memory leaks (including windows itself),
meaning that they dont give back (some of) their used memory. Only
solution is to restart....
BUT... you mention that freemem program. I dont know what it does, or
how it works, but ive got a similar thing on my Psion. It frees
memory... so it takes the memory that wasnt given back. Do remember
though, that it might not work perfect. Anyway, to find out if it's your
RAM, simply change it. (you dont have to buy new ones... just exchange
it with a friend, its only for the test) If the problem keeps appearing
after that, well, the problem might be elsewhere... are you sure there
are no other problems? like irq or dma conflicts...

greetz (just my 10 seconds of ideas)

--
Bruno Van de Casteele  brunovdc@xxxxxxxxx
N.P. Puam      [ ICQ#: CA957F ]

Homepage: http://puam.cjb.net/
SWRP: http://swrp.cjb.net/
Matrix-RPG: http://members.xoom.com/matrixrpg/

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen."
L. Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, 7

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org