Re: [COMP] Thanks for the windows realm page

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:22:48 -0500

> Will a linux loaded hdd let me switch between boxes like I can with windows
> loaded hdd?
> I mean windows will let me go into safe mode if it finds drivers or
> motherboard resources or such that it dosent like?

Linux doesn't have a "safe mode," per say, but it's got 'single user mode,' in
which all the running services are killed off before it allows you (only root)
to login.  It's designed to fix problems.

> (I'm talking about when I pull a hdd out of one box and put it in another, to
> back up or load programs on that I dont want to redownload again)

Uhm, I dunno.. I wouldn't do this with your regular linux drive, unless you plan
on booting linux on the other machine too.  You could use a second drive for
this, formatted fat32, and mounted into your linux filesystem (save your files
there), which you can then move to another machine.  Then again, why not just
network the machines?

John

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org