Re: [COMP] Startup Programs in Linux

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:53:14 -0500

> When I start Linux, a whole bunch of programs get started that I don't ever
> user like pcmcia and sendmail.  What file do I edit to change what gets
> started and what doesn't at bootup?

What distribution are you using?  (Redhat, if I remember right...)

I'm sorry to say that if you're running redhat (just learned this today,
actually), that things are a bit sticky.   If you wanna get some elbow grease
goin', have a look in /etc/rc.d.  That directory contains everything that runs
during startup and shutdown, including your different init levels.  Redhat,
unfortunately, seems to have some non-standard stuff in there, but it really
shouldn't be too bad to figure out.  If you're not in the script-editing mood,
try using linuxconf, a big gui-based configuration program.  I highly
recommend doing it by hand though.  Linux: Learning is better than simply
doing.

I'm not sure how much Redhat sways from the norm, but on Slackware (a
recommended 'upgrade' =) ), /etc/rc.d/rc.M starts sendmail, and rc.S calls
rc.pcmcia, which does the actual pcmcia stuff.

Just for kicks, here's a quick run-down of an rc.d directory:
rc.0  :  symlink to rc.6, which is run to reboot.  Technically, runlevel 0 is
system halt (shutdown), runlevel 6 is reboot.  Runlevels are controlled from
/etc/inittab.
rc.4  :  runs for runlevel 4, or the X-only mode, where xdm/kdm/gdm come up at
boot, rather than the console.
rc.6  :  explained above.
rc.K  :  runs for runlevel 1, or single-user mode.  Basically just kills off
all procs.
rc.M  :  prepares the system for runlevels 4 and 6
rc.S  :  general system startup script
rc.inet1  :  sets up your network card.  This one's strange on Redhat.
rc.inet2  :  starts up your network services (sendmail generally isn't
included here)
rc.local  :  a place to throw anything you want to run at startup.
rc.modules  :  loads your kernel modules

That's pretty much it on a slackware system.  The others are self-explanatory.

HTH

John

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org