[CoMoDev] Re: laptop recommendation

  • From: "Andrei P." <andreip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:31:11 -0600

Jeff,

This year I got 2 new laptops:
1 - Dell Inspiron 5160, P4 2.8ghz with HT, 512mb RAM, 30gb HD, 15' 1024x768
screen - $1100
2 - IBM T42, Pentium M 1.7ghz, 1gb RAM 60gb HD, 15' 1400x1050 screen - $1800
Both with inbuild 802.11 b/g.

Having worked with them for more than 6 months, if I were about to buy a
laptop now, my rules would be:
1. Not heavier than 6 lb
2. Pentium M 1.7ghz, not P4, which has a brick-size power supply and could
be use not for work only, but also to warm you hands, if working in cold
room, and to warm the room itself - 140W power supply!!!
3. 1280x1024 native resolution. I'd like to see more on my screen working
with VS and 1024x768 offers too little, but 1400x1050 has too small details
and does not draw fonts well in other than native resolutions.
4. 802.11 b/g is a must
5. Bluetooth, IrDA and real serial port are good to have options. In case I
have to choose between internal Bluetooth and IrDA (happens with IBM T42), I
would prefer BT today, because external IrDA on USB cost only about $10
nowadays and I have a history of problems with various BT via USB devices.
6. At least 512mb RAM, better 1gb. Don't rely on later upgrade - even if
you'll get available memory slot, not each laptop is easy to open. I was
never able to figure it out on my 10 years old Toshiba (still in use as
Terminal Services client because of perfect 12' 1024x768 screen)
7. Dell usually offers the best prices if to consider IBM, Sony, Toshiba,
Dell. I personally never liked Compaq, so I don't consider it and can't
discuss the prices.
8. Minimum of 30gb of hard drive per OS.
9. XP Pro is for professionals. I'm not sure about IIS in XP home edition.

Also want to mention that I never was able to work promised hours on a
battery charge.

Good luck

Andrei