[CoMoDev] Re: laptop recommendation

  • From: "dick_grier Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:54 -0600

Hi Jeff,

The prices are pretty good these days. My current machine is a top-of-the-line (a little over a year ago) Compaq 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 (with hyperthreading). It runs "hot." That is, it is quick and not to comfortable to hold in the lap for long periods of time. However, as a desktop replacement, I think I can recommend it. Others have reported reliability problems with Compaq notebooks, but I've had at least 1500 hours without so much as a whimper. If I were to get another today, I might choose to get a Pentium M model, to reduce power consumption and heat, without too much sacrifice when it comes to performance (the cost will be comparable between the highest speed Pentium M and the highest speed Pentium 4 notebooks).

My previous machine was a Toshiba notebook, which is still running as my wife's primary computer. It has worked well for more than three years, so I can recommend Toshiba machines, too. I think CompUSA has a good deal on these this week. BTW, I think David uses a Toshiba notebook?

In any case, splurge when you get the machine and either order it with at least 1GB of RAM, or upgrade it as soon as you get it.

I've heard quite a few negative comments about Dell notebooks lately, though I haven't had any experience with them myself. All of my desktop machines are Dell, and they have all worked well.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic) Hard & Software 12962 West Louisiana Avenue Lakewood, CO 80228 303-986-2179 (voice) 303-593-9315 (fax)

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. For faster service, contact the publisher at http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4.