[CoMoDev] Re: bump: March meeting topic

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:10:25 -0700

Haven't had any presenter volunteers yet.  You guys better think quick or you
may force me to present.  Fair warning!

But before I volunteer myself, I wonder if I can yet shake something loose from
one or two of you.  I notice that the EU just approved legislation that
introduces software patents in Europe, creating quite a stir.  Software patents
are already a sticky issue here in the US for anyone who tries to write
commercial software.  (I've personally lost business on two separate occasions
for reasons that related to software patent claims.)  I know some people have
strong feelings and carefully considered positions--pro or con--about software
patents and possible alternatives for protecting intellectual property. If
we've got anybody who'd like to discuss the state of the debate or of various
initiatives aimed at achieving a better legal framework for dealing with
intellectual property, that might be a cool presentation that would generate
some discussion.  If we had two people with different views on the subject...
still cooler!

Just as a quick poll:
        Who has had the experience of developing or starting to develop a
software project of original design only to find out that it runs afoul of one
or more patents?

        Who has (individually or as a company) researched the patents that were
out there to see if a product they were developing might violate one?

Note: I wasn't planning on talking about this myself--I had something technical
in mind that relates to the synchronization topic I mentioned earlier.  I'm
just stirring the pot to see if anything bubbles up from the rest of you.

David
David Beers, Moderator
Colorado Mobile Developers
www.comodev.com