[CoMoDev] We're set to meet at Microsoft

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:08:47 -0700

Good news!  We're good to go for moving our meetings to Microsoft in the Denver
Tech Center.  A big thanks to Ashwin Karuhatty for the invitation and to Sandy
Parks for making the arrangements and being our host.

The meeting is set for the usual time: Jan 25 (4th Tuesday) at 6:30.  For
directions to Microsoft and some helpful parking info visit this link, which
I've also added to our web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/info/usaoffices/rockymtn/denver.asp.  Sandy
will have the door open for us, so don't worry about that stuff about the
building being locked after 6pm.

I haven't heard from anyone else (besides me) who'd like to present this month,
so there's still an opening.  I can definitely fill a meeting with topics that
*I* think are interesting, but if you want to move things in a different
direction you need to pipe up!  Let me know if there is something you would
like to know more about and I'll try to line up a speaker for us on that topic.

Some of the things I'd like to hear presentations on:

* Data synchronization (huge field of things to discuss here: SyncML, the many
varieties of middleware, integration with software other than RDBMS (like
QuickBooks), etc.)

* Using web services with mobile devices (SOAP, XML-RPC, etc.)

* P2P: does it have some important uses in a mobile context?  How does it work
with wireless carriers?  What about other ways to "push" data out to mobiles?

* How are mobile software platforms going to shake out in the next few years?
The future of Palm OS, Win Mobile, Symbian, J2ME, Blackberry?  What about the
future of wireless connectivity?  Barring a good speaker, a bull session among
people who have read about this and have thoughts is welcome.

* I would love for someone to just show off a smartphone that's running MS
Smartphone OS or Symbian Series 60, so we can see what those are like.  I'm
clueless about anything that doesn't accept pen input.  I don't even care if
you've written any software for it (thought that would be cool to see, too) I
just would like to see what the built-in software UI is like.

But that's just me.  What about the rest of you?  I know we have people who are
implementing special applications for mobile devices.  Why don't you tell us
about them?