[CoMoDev] Re: Two Interesting Links

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kevin Cawley <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:34:13 -0700

I just an hour ago posted the link to the SuperWaba 5.0 announcement.  I've got
a Symbian phone (Nokia 6620) on order, so I should know soon how my SuperWaba
apps run on that.  One thing is that I know I'll need to rewrite them for
keypad input instead of stylus since the version of Symbian that phone runs is
more like MS Smartphone: no touchscreen support.

As for MS becoming the smart phone leader, I have to say it's quite possible
they've finally met their match in Nokia, which basically is in the driver's
seat of Symbian OS.  Microsoft simply doesn't have the lock on the smartphone
hardware market that they got early on with the PC.  Nokia is top of heap in
mobile hardware, and has absolutely no need for Microsoft to continue
solidifying its dominant position with wireless carriers.  On the other hand,
MS doesn't have to make much money on smart phones: they're just using Windows
Mobile for Smartphone (WMS) as a way to drive indirect sales of their core
server and productivity software.  In the business market that works the other
way, too: companies that already have .NET in the server room are naturally
going to gravitate toward WMS.  As for Palm... well, I'm worried about Palm,
God love 'em.

I'll tell you what I'm loving about the fact that my Java Palm and Pocket PC
apps can now run on Nokia phones: I don't have to convince clients to deploy
dozens of fragile and expensive Treo 650s or Motorola MPx200s.  Instead they
can use phones that carriers like Cingular are giving away for free with a
wireless subscription.  Hands down the number one obstacle I have seen in
convincing companies to go mobile is the hardware cost.  When I think of mobile
users in the business world I've learned not to thing less about guys in neatly
pressed suits and jets, and more about sweaty guys in overalls and trucks.
That device is more likely to be clattering around in a toolbox or sliding off
the passenger seat onto the floor than resting snugly in a briefcase or $200
leather holster.

Don't get me wrong: I love .NET and I'm eager to hone my MS Smartphone skills,
too.  But it's going to be *very* interesting to see how things shake out in
this arena over the next couple of years while 3G networks (finally) start
lighting up around the country.

David