[CoMoDev] The state of Java for Palm OS

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:41:04 -0600

A reminder that CoMoDev member Sue Spielman's J2ME bootcamp is tonight. See
http://www.denverjug.org/index.html for details.  I'll be there, although I
plan to sneak in at 7pm, after the first presenter. Anyone else going?

I'm not fanatical about Java... honest.  In fact I've yet to write a Java app
for a handheld.  I was waiting for the J2ME PDA Profile, which now looks like
it will never come.  But IBM seems to be filling in the gap lately with its
Websphere Micro Environment, so I'm starting to think about it again as I
ponder how best to develop apps that can run on multiple OSes: Palm, PocketPC,
Linux, x86 Windows, etc.

Here's a very nice overview of the state of Java (J2ME) for the Palm OS that
clarified a number of things for me and firmed up my resolve to go to Sue's
J2ME presentation in Denver tonight:

http://www.mobilepipeline.com/21400015

Note: there are a number of helpful links at the end of the article, but they
try to resolve to pages on the Mobile Pipeline web site, even thought they are
external links.  So if you want to follow them, cut and paste into your
browser.

If you're as befuddled as I am about the seemingly overworked terminology and
acronyms of J2ME, here's a glossary by the same author, and a more detailed
explanation of the core concepts such as "Configurations" and "Profiles":

http://www.ericgiguere.com/j2me/acronyms.html
http://www.ericgiguere.com/articles/j2me-core-concepts.html

I know, I know.  I've been reading stuff like that for two years and still
don't feel I have the faintest clue about J2ME.  What I'm hoping to get a feel
for tonight is (a) what the GUI for the Mobile Information Device Profile
(MIDP) looks like (compared to the Palm and PocketPC GUIs) and (b) an
idea--maybe just an inkling--of some of the functionality I stand to lose with
MIDP as compared to the Palm OS or Pocket PC Win32 APIs.  I suspect a fair
amount of what I might be interested will be found in some of the optional
packages and Sue probably won't have much time to get into those.

I've already been asked to take some notes by one person who can't make the
meeting, so perhaps what I'll do is post them here, or at least a link to them.
 Sue (if you're reading this) will there be a PowerPoint presentation that will
be available online?  Also, will we be getting to see IBM's WME in operation
tonight, by any chance?

Thanks in advance for doing this presentation.  I'm looking forward to it!

David