[CoMoDev] Re: Text to speech engines

  • From: "Andrei Podoplelov" <andrei@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:50:49 -0600

My last serious approach to Speech technology was probably in 2001. I
tried every available for free trial TTS and Speech recognition engines
for Windows I could find. My impressions were:
1. TTS work pretty good, but ... just one example. Remember Tom Soyer? I
wanted my program to read it for my children.
The text was:
"TOM. No answer."
We heard:
"Tee-Ouh-eM. No answer" - What would you children think about aunt
Polly? :)
2. Speech Recognition demanded extensive training and even after that
could be useful in command mode only. Also it demands a good processor
power and the mentioned Russian company don't offer it for PPC.
I believe Speech Recognition for Russian is much easier then for
English, because Russian is kind of WYSYWYH - What You See Is What You
Hear language with direct letter-sound correspondence.

Has the TTS/SR landscape really changed during last three years?

Andrei