[CoMoDev] Text to speech engines

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:14:35 -0600

I've often thought that text-to-speech was a good stepping stone toward the
next mobile killer app: speech recognition.  (What does that make it, a
"stunner app"?  No! sorry I said that to a group of computer geeks!  Please
just recite the Monty Python parrot routine quietly to yourself until the
feeling goes away! ;-)

Seriously, it would be nice to have your email, an ebook, or a web page read to
you while you are driving, and to have browsers and other apps written with
voice feedback to help you navigate menus without looking at the screen.  On
your smartphone you'll be able to dial from your address book without looking
at the phone or get a verbal caller ID in your headset instead of having to
pull the phone out of a holster or pocket and look at the screen.  Put this
together with even *very* minimal voice recognition (like the ability to
understand a vocabulary of just a few navigational terms--"yes," "no," "next,"
"back," "address," letters of the alphabet) and you could have hands-free smart
phones (or think industrial devices) that you operate completely through a
small, bluetooth headset.  Powerful stuff, no?

I think we're just about there, now, and if I didn't have so darned much
billable work to do I'd love to be working on this.

Here's a link to a new text-to-speech engine for PocketPC:
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS6951010836.html
Sounds very reasonably priced, which makes me wonder how good it is.

Here's are some text-to-speech products for Palm OS devices:

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_1_2&jid=7F4B68XE88X4E41E2XB5EX4BEC93DBD4&platformId=1&siteId=1&productId=140374&sectionId=0&catalog=1&txtSearch=HipTalk

http://www.palmblvd.com/software/pc/Speak-2004-6-11-palm-pc.html

The second one is free, for Pete's sake, but neither seems to have a real API
for incorporating the functionality into your programs in a flexible way.
Gotta be something like that out there, just haven't seen it yet. Anyone else?