[CoMoDev] Streamlining large corporate Palm app deployment

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:40:40 -0600

Handling large mobile app deployment issues would be a great topic for one of
our meetings all by itself, but that's not why I'm posting. I've been asked to
ping the group for ideas about a large (1000+) deployment that involves Palm OS
devices in a far-flung corporate setting.  Below is the conversation I've been
having with Peter Wilson, Senior Sales Consultant at Intellisync that describes
the problem.  In a nutshell, Peter is concerned with the number and complexity
of steps that end users have to take to get his company's software installed on
the Palms and the potential support headaches.  Some salient points I've
gleaned about the particulars of this deployment:

1.  Many of the Palms may be new or never-been-synced with an office PC, so
part of the problem is the steps of creating a new HotSync user on the PC.
2.  Palms are brought into the workplace by employees, so there's no chance for
the IT department to get their hands on them before they come into the office.
3.  Palm Desktop itself (aside from HotSync Manager) will not be used--they are
interested in getting the Intellisync client app installed so that it can deal
with synchronizing all the PIM and application data.

I've changed the name of the client to protect the innocent! ;-)

David