[CoMoDev] "So long, and thanks for all the mobile devices"

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:24:20 -0600

The short version: Dolphins get "hands-free" mobile phone technology.

It does raise an interesting technical question: what's the propagation of a
high-frequency radio signal through water like and what does it do when it hits
the surface?  If you're text messaging with dolphins would it be better to put
your antenna above or below water?  Not information I need today, mind you, but
inquiring minds want to know.

I can see this being a great way to promote wildlife conservation, actually.
Can't you see people paying money to "adopt" an animal or a group of animals in
the wild in exchange for receiving some telemetry on their animals via their PC
or mobile phone: where they are now (plotted on a topo map perhaps), how fast
they are moving, where they have been for the last 24 hours.  And if something
strange starts happening (the whale leaves the ocean or the tiger is moving 45
mph down a road) there could be a way to contact the relevant authorities.

---