[CoMoDev] Re: Shared Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JBoss/MySQL server anyone?

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:40:54 -0700

Yeah, I've used VMWare before, but what I really want is a server that looks
out on the Internet so that I can not just test software but run collaborative
software like CVS.  I'm starting a project where I'll be working with another
local developer remotely and need some good version control software.  I guess
another possibility would be to let folks I collaborate with VPN into my
network, but I'm not much of a network administrator so that wigs me out a bit.
 My preference is to look at something offsite where someone else is handling
all the routine administrative stuff and keeping things purring along.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really *do* want a production server: it's
just that the part of what it does that will need to have fairly high
availability is CVS and maybe some project management software like PHPCollab.
Most hosting companies won't install stuff like CVS for you: you have to pay
for (at minimum) a virtual private server that you have root access to and do
the installation yourself.  I've even had some trouble running PHP apps like
PHPCollab on the servers where I host pikesoft.com because I have to cajole the
admins into doing PHP configurations and patches, or to reboot the box when
needed, which is sometimes a pain.

I know there are inexpensive CVS hosts out there, too, like CVSDude.  But
they're *just* for CVS as far as I can tell and I'd also like to be able to set
up a Java environment to install and test other stuff.

There's one other thing that might be interesting to look into for
collaborative programming: P2P.  Anybody tried any P2P collaboration software
that does version control?  I worked for a client that used Groove for a while,
which was nice, but we all had separate modules we were working on so VC issues
didn't really arise much.  Anyway, Groove is *way* to expensive for me.  But
maybe something open source?  Perhaps if I had a great P2P way to do concurrent
development that would be good enough that I wouldn't need a server out there
on the Internet.  We could all do testing of server software locally and that
might be fine.

David
David Beers
Pikesoft Mobile Computing