[CoMoDev] Re: Shared Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JBoss/MySQL server anyone?

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:27:09 -0700

It looks like 1and1.com is about at the market rate for a (virtual) server that
you can admin yourself: $49/mo.  That's a lot better than a dedicated server.
 Kevin, are you using one of these virtual servers (with Windows) or is your
account just one of the web hosting accounts that doesn't give you admin rights
on the server?

I'm also looking at these guys: http://rimuhosting.com/order/startorder.jsp.
 For the same price you can get a Red Hat distro that  has stuff like Tomcat
and JBoss pre-installed and has some nice software for configuring stuff like
CVS, which I want for collaborative development.

$50/mo is still kind of a hit, cheapskate that I am.  Anybody want to go in
with me on this?  If not would there be more interest in sharing a Windows
server?  Come to think of it I can run JBoss, MySQL and CVS on Windows and also
have IIS and SQL Server there for .NET development, so for the extra $20/mo
maybe that would be the best anyway.  Any takers?  It's not going to be a
production machine: there'd be plenty of room for other folks to play in my
sandbox!

David
David Beers
Pikesoft Mobile Computing