[CoMoDev] Shared Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JBoss/MySQL server anyone?

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:58:31 -0700

Hi folks,

Just testing the water at the moment, but I'm thinking about getting a Linux
server at some hosting company that can run JBoss, MySQL, stuff like that.
Maybe not a dedicated server but one of those "virtual private servers" that
lets you configure, start and restart any service without shutting down people
on other paid subscriptions.  My use of it would probably be fairly sporadic
for now and I'm wondering if anyone else has an interest in going in together
on something like this.  We'd of course need to become friendly! :-)  It's not
quite like sharing a toothbrush, but almost, eh?

Alternatively, if someone has such a server already that they would like to
"rent out" some cycles and space on maybe I could help defray your costs.  Also
if anyone can recommend a good hosting company, please do.  I found this one
that will give you a VPS suitable for running JBoss for $50/mo, which sounds
good: http://rimuhosting.com/order/startorder.jsp.  I need to have root access
so I can install software and have full rights, etc. so a regular web site
hosting package would probably not cut it. I'm interested in having the freedom
to admin when I need to but don't want to have to be the main babysitter.  Or
maybe since I'm not not much of a Linux guy yet I should say I'd like the
freedom to make mistakes while having responsible adults on hand to rescue me
when I do.

Looking down the road (maybe not far down) it'd be kinda cool to set up CVS and
some collaboration software on a server that could be used when CoMoDev members
collaborate on projects. I've always hoped that our group might evolve into
being an incubator for some "virtual companies" on the Front Range.