[CoMoDev] Re: Pervasive computing

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:34:54 -0600

Pervasive computing.  I like that term!

I'd agree with Bud that architecting the solution is the biggest challenge for
me.  Part of that is probably because I didn't come out of an enterprise
development background (unless you count web development, which is quite a
different animal).  I suspect that my particular trajectory into this space
isn't the most common, though.

Here's the dilemma I'm working with.  Being basically a one-man show means my
typical client tends to be small- to medium-sized businesses who have an
interest in deploying Field Force Automation solutions just like bigger
companies do.  But where the big companies can make powerful synchronization
solutions like Intellisync Mobile Suite or ExtendConnect OneBridge work
cost-effectively--and these are easy to work with from a developer
standpoint--they aren't well suited for companies with less than 100 seats.

If we're talking about Palm OS devices this often means writing a custom
HotSync conduit, but that doesn't work well if you have enough users that
concurrency issues are likely. And of course it doesn't help with non-Palm
applications, where you have to write things like ActiveSync Service Providers
(nasty, from what I understand) or use RAPI or SQL Merge Replication.  The
technologies are so vastly different that aside from understanding
synchronization at an abstract level there is next to nothing you can transfer
from one platform to the next.  I have so many development environments and
APIs that I have to keep in my head now it's not even funny.

Of course, that brings us to Java--or at least can bring us there.  I'm
starting to do more work in Java now on the device-side (or SuperWaba, at
least, which is compliant with the language even though it has its own
libraries).  What I'd really like to understand better is how Java could help
me deal with synchronizing application data to database servers in multi-user
scenarios.

Getting back to the enterprise stuff, there are a couple of things that I'd
love to hear you respond to.  Two stumbling blocks for bigger companies
considering rolling out mobile solutions are deployment and systems management.
 Software updates are a nightmare if there isn't a way that you can push them
out to hundreds of users with minimal to zero intervention on their part.  And
what happens if a user loses a device that has sensitive corporate data on it?
You have to convince big companies that the mobile devices aren't going to
impose a huge administrative burden on them, which is why outfits like
Intellisync are doing good business: they've worked that stuff out.  If I could
do no-touch deployments and maybe even remotely disable a lost device and I
didn't have to see a big chunk of my client's budget go to Intellisync to
accomplish it, I'd be a happy camper.