[CoMoDev] Re: Our next meeting

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rick Sands <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:20:01 -0600

You're right that the Blackberry is a J2ME MIDP 2.0 environment.   I've been
doing a lot of MIDP development lately and could give an overview of that.  If
I have time I might even whip up a demo that's Blackberry-specific so you can
get a feel for it.

The Blackberry JDE is really ugly.  It's written in Swing so it hurts to look
at it for more than a few minutes at a time, to say nothing of the pain of
using it.  I'm guessing you could probably do most if not all of the
development in Eclipse using the EclipseME plugin (which is very nice) but I
haven't tried it yet.  Might take a little work to make a device profile that
would link up the Blackberry simulator but it would be worth it.

I know a Blackberry developer who might be willing to present for us.  If not I
could probably do something that would be an overview of J2ME MIDP 2.0 with a
(hopeful) emphasis on Blackberry.

In any case, let's make mobile Java the theme for the next meeting.  Maybe we
can work out Andre's "small screen" Java problem, too!

David
---